Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 24-r055se All in One

My PC originally came with 16 GB Optane and a 1 TB HDD.  Today I upgraded the HDD to an SSD.  First disabled Optane and then cloned my HDD to a Samsung 860 Evo SSD. Installed the SSD and booted fine. Ran Samsung Magician. Benchmarkd, then placed in Rapid mode and benchmarked again. Happy!  Rebooted. Then enabled Optane. Rebooted. When I  then ran benchmark the read /writes were SIGNIFICANTLY slower than without Optane enabled. I did this multiple times with the same result. Benchmarks much worse with Optane enabled than disabled.  Am I missing something? Something else I need to do?

Thanks!

Howard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Those readings appear to be exceptionally good.

The specs for the drive you have are:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Don't know if this helps, but according to Intel's website your computer must be powered by  Intel® Core™ processor, featuring an NVMe-based Intel® Optane. Here is their link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-memory.html

HP Recommended

My PC is a 7th generation Core i7 and came with the Optane module installed 3 gears ago. It greatly accelerated the HDD, but it appears not to play well with the Samsung 860 EVO SSD after enabling RAPID in SamsungMagician software 

HP Recommended

Hi, @HowardinBaltimo 

You don't use Optane memory with a SSD.

You only use it with a mechanical hard drive.

What you should have done was to remove the mechanical hard drive and replaced the Optane memory with a NVMe SSD, and had blazing fast drive speeds.

Or you could use the hard drive for storage with the NVMe SSD.

You can still do that now with the SATA SSD you installed, and use that for storage with the NVMe drive as the boot drive.

In any event for now, disable RST and remove the Optane memory.  You don't need it anymore.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I thought about that but the SSD was a less expensive option.  Can I  wipe the Optane drive, initialize it in disk management and use that for some storage? I'd rather not reopen the case, again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what options you have with the Optane drive.

If you disable it in the RST software, or disable the RST software, does the SSD perform as expected?

If so, I would do that.

HP Recommended

Yes, I disabled the Optane module.

Samsung drive with Magician software reports

Sequential read/write 5017/5272 MB/s

Random read/write 135742/63233 IOPS

HP Recommended

Those readings appear to be exceptionally good.

The specs for the drive you have are:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.