Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Tower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can the HP Elite Desk 800 G3 power supply be upgraded to accomodate higher end video cards?

Support NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 FH (8 GB) but require a 500W power supply.

I can not find the original 500 watt Hp power supply, I do not know its part number.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@faustog3,

That is a Business Class chassis.  It's not a gamer.

The PSU is not an ATX style, it is a proprietary design. 

Only you can answer the following:

1) What PSU is in the chassis?  Make, and model. 

Do you see the three leads off the PSU that go to the motherboard. Those are not standard ATX plugs.

2) What is the allowable length of a graphic card.  Most GTX 1080's are 10.5-11 inches.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help ...

Model Tower 1ND60ET

Windows 10 Pro 64

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT730 HDMI (2 GB)

SSD TLC PCIe® NVMe™ da 512 GB

SDRAM DDR4-2400 da 64 GB

Power - supply GNRC, PSU 250W 92% EFF, 800 TWR Part Number: 913291-001

Some clarifications:

The GTX 1080's is not just for play but also for work like CAD

http://www8.hp.com/it/it/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=15257631#!tab=specs

you see section "Display and Graphics" 

Where is part-number power-supply 500w? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have the same request, I have an EliteDesk Tower 800 G3 with the 250 watt psu and I am looking for an upgrade to the 500w.

- There is a model that comes with a 500w psu and Nvidia 1080 - so there definately is a 500w psu that works.
- On the US HP site you can configure your EliteDesk Tower 800 G3 to have a chassis with 500w psu.

(called HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Tower Gold 500W Chassis)

- I would like the part number for the (european) 500w psu - or if anyone has serialnumber to the Tower 800 g3 that comes with Nvidia. (That serialnumber can be used in contact with parts suppliers to find the psu)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I think the EliteDesk is great - apart from the custom psu that seems very hard to upgrade.

Best regards

/Richard

HP Recommended

I have found the partnumber for the EliteDesk Tower 800 G3 chassi with 500w PSU:

Y1B50AV

Can that be used to find the 500w psu partnumber?

/Richard

HP Recommended

I have the EliteDesk 800 G3 model - there is room for a high-end graphics card in this.
There is an option to purchase this with Nvidia gtx 1080 and a 500W psu.

I have succesfully fitted an AMD RX Vega 64 in the chassi - the 'only' problem left now is how I shall get hold of the 500w psu.....

Apart from the proprietary PSU I think this model is really great - it has great performance in a small tower which suits my needs 🙂

Best regards

/Richard

HP Recommended

I have also been able to locate the specifications for the EliteDesk 800 G3 Tower where the different configuration options are listed:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05367765

It clearly states that there is a 500W power supply for the unit.

This is what made me go ahead with the purchase in the first place, now I'm sadly stuck with an otherwise great PC and a high end graphics card that can't be used.

HP Recommended

After even more searching:
It seems that the 500w model has energy star rating and is really called 880.
Searching for that reveals this product number:

Y1B40AV

In the list there is a part called 911904-001 - CA ASSY, SLIM ODD PSU ST,525 RA,TWR

I wonder if this can be the 500w psu?

HP Recommended

Finally - this is the part number for the 500W 800 psu

Partnumber 913290-001 

Description GNRC, PSU 500W, 90% EFF,800 TWR

On monday I will contact the HP spare part retailer and try to order it 🙂

HP Recommended

After a small delay the PSU was delivered - it was super easy to replace the existing for the 500w version.

Connected the RX Vega 64, booted up installed drivers and everything works!

All in all, a great product with great expansion options (for it's size) only problem is to locate the replacement PSU.

It really ought to be listed as a part for the 800 G3 base model.

For reference, here is the partnumber to the PSU:

Partnumber 913290-001 

Description GNRC, PSU 500W, 90% EFF,800 TWR

Use this link and enter the partnumber:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=

/Richard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.