Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
496057-001 PCI-E Riser Card

Hi!

Can I use PCI-E Riser Card from old HP ProLiant DL380 G6 Server (card P/N:496057-001) in my homelab server?

In other words, is it compatible with any PCI-E slot on any MB including consumer ones?

My aim is to split its PCI-E x16 slot into one x8 and two x4s.  My motherboard supposedly supports PCI-E Bifurcation.

Another question: is it compatible with PCI-E v2.0 or maybe even v3.0?

I searched whole internet and was unable to find any info on this subject. You are my only hope!

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is the photo of a part I'm talking about:

s-l1600.jpg

HP Recommended

After another google search run I found DL380 G6 quick specs PDF somewhere on HP website.

Here it is.

It clearly states that the primary PCI Express Riser Board provides version 2.0 interface.

Here is the screenshot from that PDFHere is the screenshot from that PDF

Hooray!

So is seems that my second question is answered.

First one remains - is it compatible with non-HP motherboard or not.

I suppose it should be - it seems that it is a passive card and all it does is correct PCI-E lane wiring and some magic with power lanes.

Anyway, I decided to buy it and try for myself. 

I'll post an update when I know more for anyone who will stumble upon this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.