Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion hpe h8-1114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi (if this forum is still a thing) 

I have a HP pavilion HPE h8-1114 and was wondering if I could take a 400w  PSU and put it in for a new GPU (Nvidia Geforce GT 710) or will it completely turn my PC into a nuclear bomb.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KingSevvy,

Why do you want or need a GT 710 or equal to performance, GPU card. It is very low end circa 2014. Granted it is better than the GT 520 (present), but that is not much. First you need to verify the Boot environment.  Use this LINK.  If it is Legacy or BIOS, you can not use  the GT 710 is a UEFIvBIOS card. 

Nice of you to protect us.  Let me protect you from a serious $$ error.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@KingSevvy,

Why do you want or need a GT 710 or equal to performance, GPU card. It is very low end circa 2014. Granted it is better than the GT 520 (present), but that is not much. First you need to verify the Boot environment.  Use this LINK.  If it is Legacy or BIOS, you can not use  the GT 710 is a UEFIvBIOS card. 

Nice of you to protect us.  Let me protect you from a serious $$ error.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I could only afford that card at the time I just need something that can run Apex Legends or CS:GO smoothly

and yea it is a lot better than what I have now but its the only thing I could afford while searching

HP Recommended

Also I didn't mean to mark that a solution lol

HP Recommended

@KingSevvy,

These are 2011 cards, and can be found on EBay.

The GT 545 DDR3 is a 70W card, suitable for the 400W PSU

The GT 545 DDR5 is a 105W card, but I would prefer you had a 450W PSU, but it might run on the 400W.

I based my opinion on the 400W as the GT 520 was using 29W on the 300W PSU.

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gt-520-vs-geforce-gt-545

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GT-545-vs-GeForce-GT-520-PCI

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Their pretty decent cards but I think I will try getting a higher end card with a better PSU I'm trying to get my hands on a 1050 or 1050Ti which would be nice

HP Recommended

@KingSevvy,

Never did the test, did we?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.