Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 580-137c
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently, the GPU fan in my Pavilion 580-137c started making a loud buzzing sound. I have had the system since February 2018 and have never overclocked the GPU (or CPU) nor have I moved it while powered on. I am 100% sure it's the GPU fan, as I used the Radeon software to change the fan speed and the buzzing sound changed accordingly. I already cleaned the everything with compressed air as best I could. What could be the cause of this buzzing? Is the fan bearing wearing out? If so, can I replace the fan? Or do I need a replacement GPU?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

the easy stuff, pure mechanics 101

1: bad fan

2: or just full of lint'

3: fan loose. tightening screws. on GPU fan

4: if fan shroud loose,  find a way to fix that , screws.

5: if bearing in fan are bad , the fan must be replaced and GPU fans are super hard, why well let me tell you that.

• 12 makers of GPU card there are. RX550 about 10 makers,
  • All makers have like 5 to 10 versions of  RX550,  and 1,2,3 fan models too , and more variants to the moon.
  • The answer is ask you GPU card maker this or ebay the exact card (SKU) and find dead card to steal fan or  even scrapped fans sold there,.  for exact same card ,  repeat exact.
  • here is my one click answer,  RX550 means zero to me only SKU matters.
NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

or buy a GTX1650 and be  happy.  5 times faster card.

Your old card is only 50watt slow card,

above is 75watts plugs in and screams, no cables needed (non super version is 75watt , super is 100w and needs 1 cable)

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

I appreciate your response, but this is a pre built HP tower with no brand name components. The card is just an HP/no name card and the PSU isn't modular. The GPU is powered by the pci slot, so I don't have any way to power a bigger card. I'll check if anything around the fan is loose, but it's plenty clean and spins well, just loud. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.