Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6009n

Can Win7 run successfully on this hardware?  At this time there is an old xp os that cannot be updated because the browser will not load internet pages.  If it is possible, where is the best source of win7?  Memory has been expanded and extra HDDs have been added.

Advice appreciated, thanks, John.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Once I had the correct version of Win 7 the installation went well.  I found all the necessary drivers.  Had considerable trouble making Win 7 update.  Now resolved by doing a clean boot.  Still waiting for delivery of 8GB ram.   Having trouble with file sharing outside the work group.  I'll tackle this on a Win 7 forum.

Thanks again for the help.

John.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, John:

You should be able to run W7 just fine on that PC.

The only possible issue would be that the card reader won't work.

It will work on Vista but I don't know about W7.

Run the free windows 7 upgrade advisor and see what it reports.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

As far as getting a copy of W7...

The cheapest way I can think of is to find a W7 Home Premium upgrade kit on eBay.

New and sealed would be best, but if the product has been used and the OS removed from the PC it was previously installed on, you can reactivate the software by phone by calling the Microsoft toll free activation phone number.

You would have to do a clean (custom) install upgrading from XP to W7.

HP Recommended

Yes, it is possible.  There are somethings you'll need to understand. Go here first. 

Be sure to run the links.  Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.  32/64 bit run "msinfo". 

Then read this. It explains why you need to perform a fresh  install,  not an upgrade.

1) According to the HP site, the a6009n was Vista.    Wondering how you got XP, just curious.

2) With either XP or the Vista (both) were 32 bit.  Not really a deal-maker.

3) You will need to download all the Vista drivers, creating a driver disk.  Do not download BIOS.

4) WIN 7 Pro as a download is available from many sites on the Web.  You pay for it, and receive the Product Key in email. Not a problem, I have done it myself, and for others. Example    also here

5) Installing option: the system could be upgraded to 64 bit, and then you can upgrade to four 2GB modules. That is your choice.

Hope you enjoy the project.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Many thanks to you both, very helpful replies.

When purchased new this machine came with Vista which was getting poor reviews so an OEM copy together with memory was installed.

I ran Win7 update advisor and all components are compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions and read the suggested advice.  I will purchase a Windows 7 Professional - 32/64-Bit (Download Delivery) and bring the memory up to 8GB for more head room.

Thanks again for your help.

I may be back again if I run into trouble.

John.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, John.

I will be happy to help you out if you need to find any missing drivers.

HP Recommended

Once I had the correct version of Win 7 the installation went well.  I found all the necessary drivers.  Had considerable trouble making Win 7 update.  Now resolved by doing a clean boot.  Still waiting for delivery of 8GB ram.   Having trouble with file sharing outside the work group.  I'll tackle this on a Win 7 forum.

Thanks again for the help.

John.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.