Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I posted a question a few months ago talking about a power supply upgrade. Well, I finally got it. It is a LSP Ultra ATX 750w. I then realized it didn't have 1 plug-in required. The PWRCMD. So I looked all over the internet and finally found that there is a converter for that. A normal 24-pin motherboard power to a 6-pin motherboard power plug, and a 6-pin PWRCMD plug-in. So, I bought one of those. It was coming from China, and I live in the US. So it took a while. But finally, on Dec. 7, I got it. But, when I plugged it in and the new power supply in, the computer started immediately. But the monitor didn't come on or anything. So I pressed the power button. The PC started to come on again, but it just kept coming on and coming on and coming on. It's like it made the noise like it was about to power up, but it never did. And the monitor didn't come on or anything.

If you can help me, please do. I just bought a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, and haven't even got to try it yet. AND I have Ark: Survival Evolved sitting in my games library on Steam, but I can't play it. Please help me.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JustLoneStar,

Because others might follow your footsteps, I again need to make comment !  Your just not willing to listen?

The HP Elite 8300 series was released with WIN 7.  The BIOS is likely no UEFIvBIOS, but you will to put everything back to working first. Then you could test for the boot environment to finally confirm this.

In the previous commentary, you were advised to stop, but your prevailed upon adpters.  Was this attempt still within the original case (but that case would not support the lengthy GTX 1070Ti), or a new case?  I do ask, cause a new case would have created more pitfalls with the front power switch wiring mis-matched wiring.

Only you know why your still wandering down this road?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-need-new-Power-Supply/m-p/677...

What you really need would cost $1200 minimum

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi

I wonder how you resolved your problem

I have 8300 SFF and I needed a second PSU for  GPU

I am using both with a powerbar

Not elegant

HP Recommended

Have you and the one who created the thread found a solution?
If not, I'm here to tell you that it IS POSSIBLE and it COMPLETELY changes the game for these computers.

I have an HP 8300 CMT and have just done a power supply upgrade to support a beefier graphics card.

Here are my specs:

HP 8300 CMT

(2) Samsung 850 Pro SSD (250gb each, one for MacOS and one for Windows)

AMD RX-480 (8GB)

16GB RAM

650w EVGA Power Supply

I did a writeup HERE!

Since I posted that, I have been playing multiple games with the Oculus Rift VR headset and it has been incredible. Even just upgrading the PSU, I saw a small increase in CPU performance. With the upgraded RX-480, it's a world of difference.

The ATX to 6-pin adapter that the OP was mentioning will work, but will most likely need to be re-pinned. and you will get a small error message upon booting the computer. However, neither of these affect performance.

Hope this helps, and I'd love to see more people getting good use out of these machines!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.