Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Oblesk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  Has anyone else ran into this issue:  I have a Omen Oblesk, i7-8700 CPU 2080 RTX ect.  So I have had issues with it since iI bought it, reloaded software, tore my hair out now for a long time.  Now I finally saw the power supply is 500 watts.  That is the issue.  Nvidia requires 650 watts min for the 2080RTX and recommends 800watts.  How do we solve this?  Out of the box it had the wrong the power supply in it, now its way out of warranty.   I use this for streaming and i need it to be reliable, thus far it hasn't been. And now I know why at least.  Thank you for your time.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Strouss , welcome to the forum.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.    Once I have the Product Number I will try to help you further.

HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications so they will work with one another.  Therefore, the RTX 2080 in your computer may not be the same as a retail version when it comes to power requirements.  HP had it manufactured to run with the 500W power supply unit (PSU).

What type of problems are you having?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The Product Number is 4NM66AA#ABA

HP Recommended

The screen is flickering, and computer locks up, I have to manually power off and back on.  I stream, so its under high load most of the time.  But it should be able to handle it, "Being a 2080RTX" it can, but if its under voltaged to reduce power how can it be advertised that way?  It will then never perform like it should?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Strouss!

What type of problems are you having with the computer.  Be as in-depth as possible.  I know that thousands of your model have been sold with the same setup, but I have never seen a complaint naming the PSU as the problem.  I will do my best to help you solve the problems.

HP Recommended

The screen Flickers alot, esp when moving widows from monitor to monitor.  I checked refresh rates, resolutions ect.  Drivers, did fresh installs.  It lockes up, goes to blue screen and restarts. Gives GPU codes on the blue screen.  i tried to roll back drivers too with fresh install and same result.  It typically does it with load but not all ways max load.  Doesn't matter what load IE different games ect.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Strouss!

I suggest that you remove the video card and connect your monitor to the Integrated Video on the motherboard and boot the computer.  Integrated Video is not available if a discrete video card is installed.  This will give us a good place to begin our diagnostics.  The two suspects are definitely the PSU and video card from your description.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.