Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TG01-2003W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I replace my power supply on my desktop with a EVGA 450w power supply?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@pjosh9947 -- is this your computer: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2003w PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Unfortunately, this web-page shows "ERROR123" for the type & wattage of your current power-supply?

What is your reason for wanting to spend your money to upgrade? Planning on adding a high-wattage, high-performance, graphics adapter card?

HP Recommended

I want to add a better graphics card and more ram

HP Recommended

Yes that is my computer

HP Recommended

@pjosh9947  -- that is my computer

OK. Look at that web-page, to identify the amount of installed RAM, and the installed video-card.

Before you spend any money on more RAM, open the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to its "Performance" tab.  When running your usual programs, does the graph for RAM show that less than 50% of your RAM is currently being used, or does it show that more than 80% of your RAM is currently being used? If the former, then adding more "unused" RAM is a questionable expenditure. If the latter, that web-page will tell you whether there are "empty" sockets for more sticks of RAM, or whether you will have to remove the existing RAM, to replace each stick with higher-capacity. The web-page will also lists the correct specifications for the new/replacement RAM (DDR2? DDR3? DDR4? 1600? 2400? 3200 speed?).

However, I see a contradiction on that web-page:

Memory upgrade information

Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) with two 16 GB DIMMs on 64-bit systems

The only way to achieve 32 GB is to have two 16 GB sticks, but it states that only 4 GB & 8 GB sticks are supported, which implies a maximum of 16 GB. 

Hmm.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.