Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G5 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, can anyone provide the HP part number or details of equivalent cables to connect the Optical (DVD) drive for a ProDesk 400 G5?

I bought one second user, but it has no cables to the optical drive - there is also no SATA drive installed, it's an M.2 model

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SteveP2022 --  I just need to identify which connector on the motherboard it goes to (there are 2, light blue ones)

To continue our one-to-one conversation, the SATA sockets on the motherboard physically will accept ONLY a SATA cable. 

Notice that the socket on the motherboard has an "L-shaped" key in its centre.

The connector on the SATA cable is designed to interlock with that "key".

Short answer: if it fits, it fits, and you have properly connected it.

If the cable does not fit, rotate the connector 180 degrees and try again, or look on the motherboard for the correct SATA socket.

P.S. If you have multiple unused SATA sockets on the motherboard, then, generally, you can connect the SATA cable to any available socket.

However, if your computer has an "eSATA" (external SATA) external connector, then the "last" of the SATA sockets might be "shared" with that external eSATA connector, implying that you can use either that socket OR the eSATA socket, but NOT at the same time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SteveP2022,

Here you go: HP p/n: L12116-001.

Purchase option such as here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265120945777

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@SteveP2022 -- in addition to what @NonSequitur777  wrote, for good information about the necessary "power"  cable, 

all SATA "data" cables are either:

Capture.JPG

So, any computer store will have such a "standard" cable, in two lengths, either "short" (for use inside a laptop) or about 50 centimetres in length.  Try a local "owner/operator" computer store, where there probably will be a large pile of "previously-owned" data cables for $1 or $2.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I will see if I can find one locally

HP Recommended

Thank you, I am not an expert in building PCs by any means, I think I have some SATA cables so I just need to identify which connector on the motherboard it goes to (there are 2, light blue ones)

HP Recommended

Hi

@SteveP2022 

you have several documents available here

HP ProDesk 400 G5 Small Form Factor PC - Motherboard Viewer

16. SATA connectors ( visibly 3 )

So just use one free , normally doesn't matter

13. 6-Pin SATA power

Maintenance and Service Guide

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-prodesk-400-g5-small-form-factor-pc/21351197/manuals

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@SteveP2022 --  I just need to identify which connector on the motherboard it goes to (there are 2, light blue ones)

To continue our one-to-one conversation, the SATA sockets on the motherboard physically will accept ONLY a SATA cable. 

Notice that the socket on the motherboard has an "L-shaped" key in its centre.

The connector on the SATA cable is designed to interlock with that "key".

Short answer: if it fits, it fits, and you have properly connected it.

If the cable does not fit, rotate the connector 180 degrees and try again, or look on the motherboard for the correct SATA socket.

P.S. If you have multiple unused SATA sockets on the motherboard, then, generally, you can connect the SATA cable to any available socket.

However, if your computer has an "eSATA" (external SATA) external connector, then the "last" of the SATA sockets might be "shared" with that external eSATA connector, implying that you can use either that socket OR the eSATA socket, but NOT at the same time.

HP Recommended

thank you, I will take a look

I have a y-shaped cable labelled 918414-001 JH SATA Power so hopefully I need just the SATA data cable

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.