Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN HP Desktop PC - 870-007no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to install additional ram modules on my HP Omen desktop PC - 870-007no the graphics card is blocking the hatches on the memory slots. I can't find any documentation on this and nothing about removing the gtx 1080 graphics card either. There is a big metal cover blocking the usual way of removing the graphics card.

Anyone have a good solution to this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The below information is from a similar HP model PC.

Graphic card retaining bracket removal.jpg

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@bsa00

Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well 🙂

As I understand there are problems installing memory modules due to graphics card blocking hatches on slots for ram,

Here's a link that should help you with a step by step video guide on how to replace the video card under expansion cards: Click here

(the website may take a few minutes to load as it contains a lot of data, please be patient 😉 )

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link, it solved some of the problem but it is also a problem that there is a big metal bracket covering part of the graphics card. I understand that i have to remove it but I have never seen something like that in a computer before. Sending pictures to illustrate this.

Have a nice day / Bertil

ramproblem1.JPG

ramproblem3.jpg

HP Recommended

sorry to get in the middle of the conversation. I was about to click buy a similar machine so thi is iseful.

those brackets are common in full size cards; as the card will reside sideways once in the tower is up right, without a bracket the whole weight of the card would have to be supported by teh PCIE slot/motherboard. and for non-heavy duty gaming motherboards, that is too much weight.

two things, 1) there should be scews holding the bracket to the rest of the chassis; 2) to install memory you might not need to move the latch just slide it through. it should work. to remove an existing one, you surely need to release the bracket, do you need to remove an existing one?

please keep me posted, if this was a design problem, I will not buy the product. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

The below information is from a similar HP model PC.

Graphic card retaining bracket removal.jpg

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

thanks. this is useful.

can I ask the model this page is for?

HP Recommended

@DanRdz

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-100 Desktop PC series.

HP Recommended

This solved my problem completely. Now that i know what the bracket is for I removed it, just a screw and a hatch. Then I had no problems removing the graphics card, insert the ram modules and put everything back again.

By the way my computer is a  OMEN HP Desktop PC - 870-006no not 007 in the end as I wrote. And I did not have to remove any ram modules, just insert two new ones.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.