Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slim Desktop 290-p0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I replace my intel Celeron g4900 with an i-5 9400f This is my motherboard https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05991290 I also do have a dedicated graphics card.  this is my product number 3LB96AA

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

have you seen what is mentioned

• TDP: 65 W
  • Socket type: LGA1151
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Processor
TDP
Integrated Graphics
Intel Core i5-8400 (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)
65 W
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Intel Core i7-8700 (3.2 GHz base frequency, up to 4.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)
65 W
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Intel Core i3-8100 (3.6 GHz base frequency, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
65 W
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Intel Pentium Gold G5400 (3.7 GHz base frequency, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
54 W - 58 W
Intel UHD Graphics 610
Intel Celeron G4900 (3.1 GHz base frequency, 2 MB cache, 2 cores)
54 W
Intel UHD Graphics 610

You can always try, but a big risk that it will not be possible

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

if its the correct link to the motherboard u can upgrade to the Intel Core i7-8700. but you also need to update the bios in order to get the processor to work. most motherboards do not come with the updated processor unless it was the last of its kind to be made then u will have an updated bio. for you to check what bios version u have u need to boot to bios by pushing f10 key when u just powred on the pc. keep tapping the f10 key till you get into bios. then look for bios version information, write it down, exit bios, and boot to windows. go to hp website look for the bios by model number and compare what u wrote down. if ur bios version is older then u can download the new bios to support the cpu, maybe improve system performance and maybe windows OS improvements. but make sure YOU DO NOT MESS WITH PC WHILE BIOS IS BEING UPDATED!!!! IF POWER TURNS OFF, OR U RESTART PC WHILE UPDATING U CAN DAMAGE UR PC PERMANTLY!!! BIOS UPDATING IS VERY DELICATE AND CAN DAMAGE UR PC BEYOND REPAIR!!! only way to fix a damaged bios update is to replace the motherboard with the same kind.

HP Recommended

@fpresiado 

Better already take the test
updating the bios does not necessarily support a processor already listed!
Suffice it to look at the improvements that this update should bring, if nothing is specified, do not do it !!

TITLE: HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 843F)
VERSION: F.43 REV: A PASS: 1

DESCRIPTION:
This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 843F) for supported models running a supported operating system

1. Implemented 20H1 security update.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.