Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Gaming Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was curious, would my Omen be able to handle upgrading the processor from the i5-7400 to the i5-9400? Without any problems? And just to save everyone time, I've already read the upgrade page for the computer, I don't really think $300 for an i7-7700 is worth it, especially since the i5-9400 is half the price and arguably runs slightly better than the i7 7700. The i5-9400 had a TDP of 65w just like the i7-7700, so would it be safe to install an i9-9400? And if so, would I need to add anything else (like extra fans or anything like that?)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Stop_yelling , welcome to the forum.

The processors listed in the "Processor upgrade information" have been fully tested to assure that they are compatible with the motherboard.  If the processor is not on the list it will most likely not work.  HP has their motherboard made to their specifications and therefore are not necessarily the same a retail board.  Also, they use them in many different models, with different specifications.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.