Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ENVY 795-0037cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP ENVY 795-0037cb desktop came with 12GB of DDR4, PC4-21300, 2666MHz RAM, which consists of one Samsung 8GB DIMM and one Samsung 4GB DIMM.  Since it has 4 memory slots, I purchased PNY - XLR8 16GB (2PK 8GB) 2.666GHz PC4-21300 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit - Black... to expand it to 28GB.

I just installed the new RAM and it seems to be working fine; however, for some reason, the 2 new DIMMs are running at 2133MHz, while the 2 original DIMMs are still running at 2666MHz.  I tried switching which slots the new DIMMs are in, but both ways I configured it the 2 new DIMMs run at 2133MHz and the 2 original DIMMs run at 2666MHz.  Of course, there are no options in the BIOS to select the memory speed.  So, am I missing something?  Is there any way to get the 2 new DIMMs to also run at 2666MHz?  Thank you!

• Currently, I have the two new DIMMs in Memory Slot 1 and 2, and the two original DIMMs in Memory Slot 3 and 4:

HP Support AssistantHP Support Assistant

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

ddr rules

do not mix sku (intel.com datasheet) means makers, and model number or get unstable results, Intel made the MMC.

the speed will be at the slowest stick SPD chip pnp scanned (the SPD is info chip  on the stick)

if you must mix SKU never sizes. i pairs, do so only if the pair are 100% identical.

what does BIOS show you.

learn this about BIOS, (it can be funky) BIOS sometimes must be reset for it to see the DDR correctly

even doing the hard COLD power AC reset,  power off, unplug AC cord, and  push dead power button 3 times to discharge

all caps inside the PC now reverse that, see if BIOS is happy we ALWAYS look in BIOS first, if not happy there all is unhappy.

DDR can be very complex I can talk about way to the ends if time. but I will not, but here is bug  in the bonnet for that.

even sticks of ram with wrong density chips can fail if dead wrong or OMG MIXED< intel.com has endless facts on that.

that is why CORSAIR and others sell, CERTIFIED memory is sets, not for sales max but for QUALITY .

at the  least

channel A and B matched,

and BANKs 0 and 1,  some must be matched, and nobody on earth knows this, vast chips and sticks makers endless.

mixing bad. (can be,) and intel told you not to do that, that is a fact. need links to facts ask.

HP will say (IDK) you didn't buy our DDR>  and be right, ! mixing 4 and 8 gig wow. in one bank .wow.  DDR3 is even more hard think goodness not DDR3.

good luck mixing ram,. !

YMMV your memory may vary.  If fails buy 4 matching DDR4. same SKU, see it does work,    buy certified DDR.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Hello
are you sure of the capacity of the new modules?
Did you try to remove everything, then test a new module alone, then the other?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-desktop-pc-795-0000i/19390486/model/21910304/document/c...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

BIOS tricks

many a PC , Seen vast in  39 years,

The BIOS when entered by users (hotkeyed),   , and new DDR just inserted,

stops and shows ( NEW DDR DETECTED can I do full DDR reset and full SPD scan, yes).  not saying your PC is this smart

but many of mine are,  like that.

so do that? yet and is always first. ever skip past BIOS pages, with new major hardware, ok?

power on, hammer the BIOS hot key ESC?

and go to PAGE one, see your DDR?

some weaker old BIOS the whole BIOS must be rest, or upgraded to even allow newer DDR used, 

PC will run at slowest DDR inserted,  (no exceptions) (OR CPU Which ever is more slower )

HP Recommended

one more blurb:

test them 1 at time in Bank0 channel A

see what you get  that way

let the PC BIOS tell you what it found, if wrong and DDR4 is really not fake  (bestbuy nah)  PNY is good brand but is not certified.

then upgrade BIOS NOW

and repeat again 1 stick if good add more.

all shops know+ this , called DDR ROPES. know those ropes (me x sailor )

learn this too (more ropes)

the Generic DDR is just that works on most PC not all

Certified, means works and tested on YOUR EXACT PC,  and even max GB size. per HP spec.

mixing SKU is a  toss coin.  Intel told you not to and HP did not make the MMC logic only INTEL did,. i3 Up.!! 

yes BIOS can mess up if old. yes, BIOS can do full blown rejections. same with CPU upgrades!

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

Hello

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-desktop-pc-795-0000i/19390486/model/21910304/document/c...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @JRTuttle4 

I will add my 2 cents here as well...

It appears that if you don't use the same HP memory that they installed (which costs a fortune), that is the end result.

Something to do with XMP profiles not being able to be changed in the BIOS, so the aftermarket memory runs at the base speed of 2133 MHz.

You can refer to this discussion for the explanation....

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Seriously-HP-why-Its-a-simple-memory-upgrade/m-p/77222...

HP Recommended
Savvy2,

The 8GB and 4GB Samsung DIMMs {showing in Banks 3 and 4} is the RAM that came with the computer.  Of course, the 2 new DIMMs are a pair also.  I will try doing the “hard COLD power AC reset,  power off, unplug AC cord, and  push dead power button 3 times to discharge.”  Thank you!

@Prométhée wrote:

Hello

Prométhée,

The capacity is showing correct.  It is just the speed that is not.  It matches the specs listed for this Berks motherboard:

PNY - XLR8 16GB (2PK 8GB) 2.666GHz PC4-21300 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit - Black...

No, I have not tried booting with only 1 of the new modules installed and then the other one, but I will try that also and see what happens.

Thank you,

Jeff

HP Recommended

"The capacity is showing correct. It is just the speed that is not. It matches the specs listed for this Berks motherboard: "

Yes, I saw it well, it is clear with the given image ..
I also looked at what is indicated for the motherboard
my question was just whether there is no specification error for your modules.
The indicated tests are simple, it will allow you to know whether or not your modules are properly identified on their own
If so, there is a possibility of incompatibility with the others, in this case, you will have to buy the same ones or stay at 16 GB
If not, your modules are either a problem or not compatible at all

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I tried everything, but got the exact same results every time.  The 2 new DIMMs work just fine, just not at 2,666 MHz.  I definitely agree with the Author of the thread that Paul shared <https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Seriously-HP-why-Its-a-simple-memory-upgrade/m-p/77222....  It makes no sense to only allow RAM purchased from HP to work at the proper speed and not allow the XMP profiles to be changed in the BIOS.  I checked the other option that Author referred to using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, but it does not give me the option to select the XMP profile like it did for that person's Omen 30L.

I installed HWiNFO and on the Summary page it shows half of the speed that it shows everywhere else.  Unless maybe that is the speed per channel {left side below}:  In the report it shows the same speed as the HP Support Assistant {right side below}:

HWiNFO64 v6.35-4305HWiNFO64 v6.35-4305

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.