Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 610-1280qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am interested in the components that I will require and the steps I need to take to replace my hard drive with an SDD. I believe my HDD is a 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. From reading other posts, it sounds like I will need some sort of bracket to make the SDD fit and will need some other equipment to prepare the SDD for the exchange. Also, can I expect a boost in performance with an SDD? I've already maxed out the memory to 16gb, but I still see some lag when opening tabs or moving between programs, so I'm trying to do what I can.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kevindp78,

Somehow we are getting confused. The motherboard is only capable of 3Gb/sec speed according to the HP specs page. Crucial is stating different.  Please go here to test it.  Look at bottom left corner.

If HP specs are wrong, I need to edit this page, apologize to you, and inform HP of their data sheet error.

Although the SSD is rated at 6Gb/sec, there is the simple fact that these values are actually less. The chart compared the same SSD on the 6Gb/sec port at only 522Mb/s. The same SSD on the 3Gb/s port only rated 268Mb/s.  That is the bottleneck.   If the above test reflects the 3Gb/sec speed.

Sadly, it is a problem you can not overcome.  The entire article can cause some confusion, that is why I only linked page 4. If your motherboard was SATA3 6Gb/sec rated there would be an improvement. That is not the case. Also the 2TB hard drive is specified as only 5400 RPM.  Very old school in these times.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi Kevindp78,

I am not a HP employee.

You will probably need a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adapter to install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in your system. I have used this adapter (Link) with good results.

The you will need a SATA to USB SSD adapter (Link) to clone the operating system from the existing HDD to the new SSD.

I use Macrium Reflect free to clone operating systems to new storage devices.

Macrium Reflect cloning procedures and a Macrium Reflect download link can reviewed at this (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

@kevindp78,

The bottleneck that your circa 2011 computer has is the slower 3Gb/sec SATA port.

Attaching the 6Gb/sec SSD will throttle back to 3Gb/sec speeds.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

You will probably double data throughput by doing a SATA SSD .

This should be a recommended upgrade given the price of SATA SSDs/GB at this time.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry, @WB2001, I'm not sure I understand. (I'm new to this stuff.) It sounds like you are saying that changing to an SSD will not provide a performance boost or decrease lag when opening tabs and moving between programs because of this bottleneck. Is that correct? The comments section in the link you sent seemed to suggest a significant boost in performance regardless, but that may not be specific to my computer.

HP Recommended

Thank you, @Grzwacz. Does the type of SSD I get matter? I'd be happy with a 1.5 to 2X improvement in performance. I was told by a chat agent at Crucial that the read-write speed of my current HDD is 300MB/s. Since it's also a 2TB SATA hard drive, I guess I'd need an SDD that's 2TB (to keep the same space) but read-write speeds around 500MB/s or more. Does that sound right? I'm looking for cheap but effective, so I wanted to get the specs right.

HP Recommended

@kevindp78,

Somehow we are getting confused. The motherboard is only capable of 3Gb/sec speed according to the HP specs page. Crucial is stating different.  Please go here to test it.  Look at bottom left corner.

If HP specs are wrong, I need to edit this page, apologize to you, and inform HP of their data sheet error.

Although the SSD is rated at 6Gb/sec, there is the simple fact that these values are actually less. The chart compared the same SSD on the 6Gb/sec port at only 522Mb/s. The same SSD on the 3Gb/s port only rated 268Mb/s.  That is the bottleneck.   If the above test reflects the 3Gb/sec speed.

Sadly, it is a problem you can not overcome.  The entire article can cause some confusion, that is why I only linked page 4. If your motherboard was SATA3 6Gb/sec rated there would be an improvement. That is not the case. Also the 2TB hard drive is specified as only 5400 RPM.  Very old school in these times.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi,

Run Crystal Disk Mark (CDM 6.02), the Zip version (Link) on the current platter HDD.

You should see about twice the disk read/write performance on your PC (all things equal) using a SATA SSD versus a platter HDD when running CDM on each storage device.

You will not see the theoretical read/write speeds the SATA SSD can provide on a SATA III system. But the performance improvement will still be discernible. Your PC, as Wb2001 stated, has design limitations which cannot be overcome unless you buy a new PC.

Whatever. Your call. You want fast disk access then buy a new PC with a M.2 drive. The difference between a SATA III SSD versus a M.2 SSD is imperceptible in normal everyday use.

The process of improving disk read and write performance is limited by the PC's chipset.

Regards

HP Recommended

I ran HWInfo and it looks like I've got a Quanta 2ABB Motherboard. Research suggests it's got 2 x SATAII 3Gb/s connectors, so I guess there's that bottleneck you mentioned. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.