1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Question about new HP desktops

ENVY Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking about buying a new computer in the near future, if all goes well, to replace my outdated Windows Vista, and I was wondering...

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but as I'm not the most tech savvy, I have noticed that all of the new HP desktops have sideways disk drives. I really didn't want to get a computer where I would have to put a CD or DVD in sideways rather than vertically, like you always do on most CD or DVD players. I am worried my disc could fall out and on the floor if I have to put it in sideways.

I was wondering, would I be able to put my Envy Tower sideways on my desk or something (or am I supposed to) to I wouldn't have to put my discs in sideways? 

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
17,956 17,901 1,670 3,935
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Question about new HP desktops

Shrevedude

In  turning the case sideways, you have two issues to deal with -- air flow and HDD orientation.

Regarding the first, when you rotate the case and lay it on its side, one of two things will be true -- the CPU fan will be point upward (which is good) or the fan will be pointed downward (which is BAD).  You need the fan pointing upward to exhaust hot air from the case.  IF it points downward, it might not exhause air properly, your CPU will overheat, and the PC will fail.

Regarding the second, I know that modern HDDs will work in virtually any orientation (i.e., vertical or sideways) but I don't know if it's safe to run them inverted for long periods of time.  So, once again, this is an orientation question such that if laying the case on its side inverts the HDD, I would not do that.

As to the discs falling out of the CD/DVD drive, they generally have something mounted to prevent that.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation