Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

OK So just want to make a quick double check before moving forward, this is for a Z420 refurbish Win 7 64 that I'll use for recording and editing only, not personal online use and such.

Tried to look up as many forum searches and videos as I could find.

Installing SSD

All I need to do is get adapter trays to make the 2.5 fit the 3.5 slots. Should be able to hook up the SSDs as if they were Sata?

Installing SAS

Need to install SAS card into system to run SAS Drive

Now do I also need to get a SAS to SATA Adapter Converter card too? I'm not sure, I saw them but I dont see in any posts or videos people mentioning them.

I'm assuming its just install the SAS card into the machine to make it so you can install the SAS drive instead of SATA.

What I'm trying to do is add

1. SSD 1TB as my main drive

2. SSD 250GB to run my DAW recording sessions

3. SSD 250GB to run my audio samples

4. SAS 2TB Drive to store things not in use

I have external hard drives as well for a whole library of this and thats

I feel like I kinda sorta have it, I know what parts are needed to finish this refurbish and use it solely for recording and editing.

Z420 with Win 7 64 OS

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Like I don't need one of these for SAS, right? Just the SAS controller card and I'm all good right? I never saw any posts or videos that mention them, but once I saw it, I was like "Wait what? What's this?"

sas.jpg

HP Recommended

OK I guess I'm all set, I see no objections, none I could find from running a community search or videos/articles.

I'll try to finish my refurbish with SSD & SAS storage and OS this weekend

HP Recommended

sas/sata adapters don't really exist since sas natively supports sata.  The only time I've seen any type of adapter is when they are used on rack servers on a dual port sas controller and need dual port functionality.  Then there's an sata to sas 'interposer' board which simply gives the sata a dual port capability.  There is no way to convert from sas to sata.

HP Recommended

Since you have the capability to run them, I would also look into sas ssd drives.  They have enterprise reliability which is probably important for your work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.