Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
Elite 8000 SFF Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

RAM Upgrade

Came installed with 2 * 2GB modlules (4GB total).

Manual (and scanner from Mr Memory) says it will take max 16GB (4*4GB) - so I ordered the recommended DIMMS from Mr Memory.

Installed all 4.  5 Beeps repeated, and the fan goes bonkers, no bootup.

Took DIMMS out of bank 2 so the original slots were filled with 2*4GB.  Boot no problem and recognised the new capacity.

Tried each DIMM individually in Slot 1 (no problem) and in combination in Slots 1 and 2 (no problem).  So, I know the new DIMMs are all OK.

However, as soon as I put anything in Slot 3 and 4 I get the beeps, no boot.

I even tried the new modules in Slots 1 and 2 with the original modules in Slots 3 and 4 - 5 beeps etc.

I reported back to  Mr Memory and sent a pic of the original modules.  They said the original speed was 8500 but the replacement DIMM were PC3-10600 1333Mhz but the ORIGINALs were 8500, so just received replacements of 4 * 4GB DDR3 PC3-8500 1066Mhz.  Their thought was that the PC was "used" to running 8500 so a higher speed was confusing it.  Sounded odd to me since the manual says 10600 should be OK - and indeed they worked in Slots 1 and 2.  But what do I know?

Tried all the new 8500 DIMMS individually and in combination as before, same results.  Don't like anything in Bank 2 (Slots 3 and 4) even the original DIMMS.

Bank Holiday in UK now so Mr Memory closed until Tuesday.

Looking for ideas as to why Bank 1 (Slots 1 and 2) is OK but Bank 2 (Slots 3 and 4) error.

Is there a BIOS setting or something similar?

Is the MoBo borked?

Clutching at straws here, losing what little hair I have left and appreciative of any assistance/ideas.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I wouldn't be able to help you with why the memory you bought isn't working other than to say that I have an 8000 Elite CMT which has been happily running 4 x 4 GB of DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) memory for years.

I can tell you this however...it is extremely hard to find the right memory to install in the HP 8000 Elite and 8100 Elite model series.

This is the exact memory I used in my HP 8000 Elite:

Patriot Signature DDR3 RAM 4GB (1X4GB) 1333MHz CL9 UDIMM Desktop Memory Module - PSD34G13332 at Amaz...

I don't see that it is available on Amazon UK, but I did see some for sale on eBay UK:

PSD34G13332 for sale | eBay

Did you try installing two of the 4 GB memory chips with the 2 x 2 GB chips?

When you install in mismatched capacities, the memory needs to be installed so it is the same capacity for each bank.

So...4 GB  + 2 GB + 4 GB + 2 GB, or you can do 2 GB + 4 GB + 2 GB + 4 GB.

I'm thinking your PC just doesn't like the Mr. Memory chips for one reason or another.

Probably the density is too high.

HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks for the response and guidance.

As I said, I did try mixing the old and new memory in various combinations but no good.  Anything in slots 3 and 4 causes the error.

I'm confused why the new DIMMs work in Slots 1 and 2 but not Slots 3 and 4.

Do you think the chips you see on ebay would be OK with 2 of the new DIMMs I have?  They are PC3-10600 whereas I have PC3-8500 (1066Mhz)?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think they would be OK with the original 2 GB chips that came with your PC.

I do not believe they will work with the new 4 GB memory chips you bought.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I found this discussion from 9 or so years ago pertaining to the 8100 Elite CMT, and the memory I recommended that should work, is also available on eBay.UK.

Solved: Re: Which memory for HP CPQ Elite 8100 Convertible Tower - HP Support Community - 4892569

F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT for sale | eBay

I think it is a matter of finding the right memory to work in your PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.