Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop GT11-1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey hello,

Recently i bought an OMEN 25L Desktop for gaming usage.

i noticed that i might want to upgrade my standard 16GB (2x8GB)  of memory to 32GB (4x8GB). Because the game im currently playin (wit all the other background applications running) takes up about 14 to 15GB of RAM. I heard somewhere that upgrading RAM can be challenging wit the OMEN 25L and 30L because the clocking speed of the memory cards would be limited to 2400/2660MHz. (something about it being in the BIOS). I would like to know is there any chance i can upgrade to 2 extra 8GB cards without losin the 3200MHz clockspeed and overclocking in the OMEN Gaming Hub?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@THHLubberink -- The CRUCIAL web-site will identify the EXACT memory that will be compatible, but you do not need to purchase RAM from CRUCIAL. Buy from any supplier that can match the specifications.

Note that your computer's motherboard must support the speed of "fast" RAM.  Compare to buy automobile tires rated for 200 Km/hour and then driving to the nearest grocery-store -- you will not be taking advantage of the full potential of the tires.

You need to check the motherboard's specifications to determine the highest speed of RAM that it will support. Note that most "fast" RAM will automatically scale-down to be compatible with a "slow" motherboard -- you don't want that to happen.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@THHLubberink , welcome to the Community.

The information that I have from HP states that the best way to assure that the memory will run at the stated speed is to buy it when the computer is ordered.  Otherwise, it is unlikely that any other memory will run at the stated speed.  It may be possible to overclock the new memory using a third-party app, but it is not recommended by HP.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

thanks for answering. just wondering if i could buy the same memory cards from HP directly. if so i live in the netherlands is it possible here?

HP Recommended

@THHLubberink, HP is not selling their memory on the open market at this point.  I don't know if the will change in the future or not.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

i found this HP Memory on the website were i also bought my pc.

https://www.megekko.nl/product/0/1120528/HP-V8-geheugenmodule-8-GB-1-x-8-GB-DDR4-3200-MHz?r=googlesh...

could you check and give me some more info? (like will it run at 3200mhz caus its HP, and if so would it work wit my kingstone hyperx memory?)

HP Recommended

Memory hubs have a maximum throughput, dependent on the motherboard chipset. So, if you look up which chipset goes with your cpu, like with Intel it's linked to the name of the processor series (devils canyon, skylake, sandy bridge), which is the name of the platform. Look up which chipset corresponds to your cpu. You will then see basic parameters for memory speed, maximum memory, different sizes of compatible DIMMS. 

For AMD systems I don't really know how they're classified. But usually a certain cpu requires a certain chipset. You can also look up the cpu, and it will tell you what memory configurations are compatible. 

However, I am inclined to trust the speed derating with 4 DIMMS installed, as this seems like what could be expected from such a change. But, if you actually short on  memory, that is you're system isn't just caching into free ram space and releasing it as needed for program processes, but is actually swapping out to disk (memory thrashing), you will get a massive performance boost by adding 16GB of memory, even with the drop in speed. Swapping to virtual memory is quite slow compared to memory speed, so it creates a real bottleneck.

You can find out how much memory is being used as cache by opening 'task manager' and clicking the 'performance' tab. Just mess around in there and you'll find it. I'm on my tablet right now. So, I can't just try it.  

HP Recommended

my cache is 4GB. dont know if this is high or low and how or if i should clear it. an extra 16GB of RAM i will add though. does it need to be the exact same as my current memory cards? (hyperx fury from kingstone)

HP Recommended

The chipset im using then must be a B550 (Hana) (ssid: 8876)

so this means the socket is a DDR4 288 PIN?

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) with 16 GB DIMMs on 64-bit computers
NOTE: 
Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

^does this mean HP locked it in the operating system like what i heard that has been done?

HP Recommended

so im almost sure the socket is an ddr4 288pins socket and new RAM can go on my b550 motherboard. if i buy 4x8GB HyperX Fury RAM it will then run at 2400mhz wit a CL 16 instead of the 2x8GB HyperX Fury RAM which runs at 3466mhz(overclocked) wit a CL 22. will it be faster or not?

HP Recommended

@THHLubberink -- the web-site:  www.crucial.com

has a good interface for identifying exactly which memory sticks will be compatible with your computer. For best results, purchase the memory from Crucial.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.