Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@THHLubberink,  @itsmyname  information is good.  However, I would suggest contacting Crucial's Tech Support before buying their memory to ensure that it will be compatible with your current memory.  I have seen instances over the years where it wasn't compatible.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

because i live in the Netherlands crucial wont be an option for me. so ill ask again will 16gb more wit CL 16 run faster then the basic 16gb. caus if so ill just replace the current memory cards wit 4 times 8gb memory cards hyperx fury.

HP Recommended

@THHLubberink -- The CRUCIAL web-site will identify the EXACT memory that will be compatible, but you do not need to purchase RAM from CRUCIAL. Buy from any supplier that can match the specifications.

Note that your computer's motherboard must support the speed of "fast" RAM.  Compare to buy automobile tires rated for 200 Km/hour and then driving to the nearest grocery-store -- you will not be taking advantage of the full potential of the tires.

You need to check the motherboard's specifications to determine the highest speed of RAM that it will support. Note that most "fast" RAM will automatically scale-down to be compatible with a "slow" motherboard -- you don't want that to happen.

HP Recommended

Operating system dependent memory constraints are due to the platform, 32 or 64 bit. 32 bit operating systems can only address about 4GB of ram without paw extensions. 

HP may have a whitelist in the UEFI BIOS that only permits certain memory modules to be used. Also, some systems do not take full advantage of the chipset capabilities, and so there is a lower upper limit on the amount of RAM. 

But I have not seen this done. Every HP machine I have used I packed to the limit with RAM, and it worked just fine.

This is not to say it will always be that way. But you can be sure the machine uses DDR4, up to the speed listed. How much you can install depends on a few things, one of which is motherboard design.

It can be more profitable to design one machine, and then progressively cripple it to get the lower price tiers. Other times this is simply not possible. I would ask the automated assistants on the Crucial and Kingston sites to tell you which ram is guaranteed to work. Make note of the exact part numbers. 

Then, clear your browser of all its data, and search on the part numbers. Follow the links back to those sites, and check what the specs are for the part numbers that are guaranteed to work. Any ram with the same specs will probably work.  

HP Recommended

Should be pae extensions.

HP Recommended

@THHLubberink --  I will  just replace the current memory cards with 4 times 8gb memory cards hyperx fury.

Since you already have 16 GB, do you currently have two 8 GB sticks (with two empty slots), or four 4 GB sticks?  If the former, just add two 8 GB (or two 16 GB) sticks from the same manufacturer, with the same "speed" rating, to reach 32 GB (or 48 GB). If the latter, remove two 4 GB sticks, and add two 8 GB (or two 16 GB) sticks, to reach 24 GB (or 40 GB).  Again, purchase from the same manufacturer as the original RAM, with the same "speed" rating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.