Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this desktop which HP identifies as an Omen 870-244. It came with 16GG RAM, 2x8GB. I decided to upgrade the memory to the maximum allowed, It's just something I usually do. "My Bad", I checked the upgrade specifications on the WEB site for my product rather than looking at the memory modules themselves.

WEB site specifies PC4-17000 memory DDR4-2133 and limits the upgrade to 32GB even though it implies the hardware is capable of 64GB. Apparently they have only tested with 32GB max. There are four DIMM slots compatible with 4GB or 8GB modules it says.

It's been a few months since doing the upgrade, perhaps a year and I had the occasion to dig out the old memory to put in another system. To my surprise the memory was PC4-21300, DDR4-2666. That is what came in the machine. So, the site specifications were wrong.

I'm now wondering if the 32GB limit is also wrong and the machine will actually run stably with 64GB. I have not been able to verify this anywhere as all the documentation is the same although I know, at least on one particular, it was wrong. I even wonder now if the mobo type is right.

Any help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
it just says that not tested with more than 32 GB, but that the motherboard must allow it.
Maybe try the scan

Welcome to Crucial USA

if it is this model

motherboard specifications, Thimphu-K

Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

If the quantity used, does not exceed 12/14 GB, can be useless anyway

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, on another support page specifically for the motherboard, it indicates it will support 16GB modules up to a max of 64GB. So, from that perspective, it should be fine should I want to do that or just use 16GB modules rather than 8GB and populate two slots for now.

In that case, the question is 2x16 or 4x8 to get to 16GB.

HP Recommended

In that case, the question is 2x16 or 4x8 to get to 16GB

you mean 32 go?
So, you have two possibilities!
If we are good with the given model that I found, (to do well I would need the P / N number to confirm), or you install two strictly identical modules.
Either it will be necessary to change everything!
Sometimes modules are not compatible with each other!
You can try Cpuz it can also help

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, the Thimphu-K is the correct motherboard.

I'm inclined to change our the current 32GB of DDR4-2133 for 32GB DDR-2666 which is what was in the machine when I purchased it. The specs on the HP WEB site were misleading and identified the wrong type of memory it appears, unless the revision of the board I have is a newer one and the WEB site had not been updated. The WEB site in two places indicated the upgrade was PC4-17000 rather than PC4-21300 memory, even though the latter was what was in the machine as shipped.

I am inclined to go with 2x16GB to leave room for upgrade to 64GB total should i want to do that rather than going with 4x8GB again which would populate all the slots and limit me to 32GB unless I choose to change it all out yet again. I'm not inclined to do that.

Currently, I am using Corsair Vengence LPX memory. When I upgraded the machine the first time removing the HP memory, I bought all identical sticks. I'm just bummed I was mislead regarding the correct memory. I know the DDR4-2133 works or course, but is it not the fastest memory the board will support and was not what was shipped with the board to begin with.

HP Recommended

Yes, I have indicated all that there was to say in relation to the question!
please mark the subject

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.