Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 40L Desktop PC GT21-0000i IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

I received DDR4-3733 MHz RAM with my OMEN 40L desktop.  The RAM also reads as 3733 MHz on the labels.  However, the HP support assistant software only reads the speed as 3200 MHz.  Did I receive the wrong memory?

i9-12900k

Windows 11 Home

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@DKEN9 -- most sticks of RAM will operate at their rated speed (3733) *AND* at slower speeds (3200).

This enables the RAM to be compatible with a wider variety of motherboards.

So, it is possible that your motherboard maxes-out at 3200, even though your RAM is capable of running faster.

Enter BIOS Setup.  Is there any setting for "XMP" ?  If so, it may be possible to configure the motherboard to interact with the RAM at the 3733 speed.

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure HP bios does not support XMP (I haven't seen the option in my last two HP computers) and their overclocking software no longer supports overclocking the memory.  It just seems strange that HP would offer, and charge more, for RAM in their custom built desktops that the mother boards can't even support.

HP Recommended

@DKEN9 -- It just seems strange that HP would offer, and charge more, for RAM in their custom built desktops that the motherboards can't even support.

Given the COVID-related "supply-chain" issues, it is quite possible that HP has an inventory of "3733" RAM, even when the motherboard supports nothing faster than "3200", and currently has no inventory of "3200" RAM.  So, given HP's choices: not sell the computer, or to sell it with "better" RAM.

HP Recommended

For sure.  My issue is that they offered and charged me more for the faster memory when the motherboard doesn't seem to support it.  They should have only offered up to the 3200 mHz speed and not charged me the extra premium and I probably wouldn't have noticed.

HP Recommended

So that we can answer precisely rather than making assumptions @DKEN9 
you should give links of the purchased model, , captures of the parameters / indications of what you have for memory
try for example the software, give the captures of the memory options

From what I have seen, this type of computer:

so you should have what is mentioned indeed

https://www.omen.com/us/en/desktops/omen-40l.html

Up to HyperX 64 GB DDR4-3733 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM

so you might have this model oc - .

motherboard

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/product/omen-40l-desktop-pc-gt21-0000i/2100716056/document/ish_5037050-...

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture

• Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets

• Supports up to PC4-29800 (DDR4-3733) for 125 W K-series CPU

• Supports up to PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200) on select models and up to PC4-27700 (DDR4-3467) for 65 W CPU

• Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs

• Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

Note:

32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

• Supports up to 128 GB (unbuffered) with 32 GB DIMMs on 64-bit computers

if you should have 3733MHZ modules
and that in the computer it is other modules, then contact HP

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@DKEN9 --  They should have only offered up to the 3200 mHz speed 

Yes, in a "normal" world, HP would probably have done that.  But, after two years of COVID, things are no longer "normal".  What was the incrementaal charge for the same amount of RAM, but at the "faster" speed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.