Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
705 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello we pretty much exclusively use HP and we have over 40 HP desktop's in our company and this isn't an issue I have seen before having looked after the IT here for nearly 6 years and upgraded many systems

Many years ago we bought a HP 705 G3 it came with 2x 4GB RAM modules we have upgraded to 4x 4GB and bought the exact same RAM as what it shipped with HMA451U6AFR8N

The RAM now runs at 1866mhz even though with any combination of just 2 sticks installed it runs at 2133mhz

All 4 sticks are identical and pass windows memory diagnostic checks

Its got an A8 9600 APU which would support 2400mhz in an unlocked pc with supported RAM

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version

There aren't any settings in the BIOS to manually adjust RAM speed

Some applications not perform slightly worse even though total RAM has doubled

Any assistance would be much appreciated

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Have you looked at the SPD display of the CPUID app?  The app is also called CPU-Z.

Each slot should show the same JEDEC values.  Note that the voltage changes with the JEDEC.  Verify the voltage is correct by looking at the chip itself.  The SPD and voltage should match what CPU-Z shows.

I do not have that system but can offer a few other ideas.  

A few years ago there was a major update to BIOS of Intel and AMD to fix vulnerabilities in the CPU.  The changes affected timings as I recall that can lead to slower speeds.  Your system, 705 G3 is "outdated" but I noticed that the bios and chipset were updated by AMD this year.  It is nice that HP updates older system..  I also had a bios update to an old z400.  I did not expect that update as the system is really old

There is a chipset update for your system,  july 2021. I assume you put that in.  The bios update was Oct 2020 (V 2.35)  However, the bios 2.32 (no date shown in version history) is the one that fixed that vulnerability of 2 years ago: "CVE-2020-12890"  AMD took their time fixing it and I suspect 2.32 was released shortly before 2.37 like only a few weeks.  I assume you  upgraded to 2.37.

You might try an older bios and see if the speed stays at 2133.   If not, then at least you can run more and bigger programs, just not as fast ;>)

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.