Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Compaq DC7600
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi, I have a DC7600 I use for retro gaming.  It is running XP 32 Bit and runs well on some old games such as the original Tonbraider using the onboard intel graphics.  But I want to upgrade the GPU a bit.

I have a low profile Radeon X1600 Pro and a PCI-e extender ribbon so I can mount it horizontally in the slimline desktop case but the PC just refuses to recognise there is a PCI-e card installed.  I can't see anything obvious in the bios and nothing found in windows device manager.  There is an option to turn off the IRQ for the embedded intel graphics adapter in the bios but I didn't try that in case i get no video at all.

With the X1600 Pro installed the fan spins on the graphics card but I get no output from the SVGA connector.   The onboard Intel SVGA is still working.   I thought there could be a problem with the X1600 Pro or the PCI-e extender so I tried it in my Windows 10 PC and it worked fine even with no drivers installed i got to the Windows Screen.

I notice that back in the day, HP offered the dc7600 with an option of ATI Radeon X1600XT graphics so it must be compatible.  How do I get the dc7600 to recognise I have fitted a PCI-e card? I don't understand.

best regards

Richard

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I found a Geforce GT610 PCI-e card in another one of my PCs so I tried fitting that instead of the X1600 Pro but I have exactly the same problem, no video output from the Geforce GT610, integrated Intel SVGA is still working.

In deparation I found a PCI-e Soundblaster card and inserted that to see what would happen.   The computer boots to Windows XP but does not detect any new hardware

It appears the PCI-e slot is disabled.  How do I enable it?

HP Recommended

he please help.me.i've same issue!! my windows isn't detecting new hardware!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.