Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 (i9-10980XE)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear community, I just purchased a HP Z4 G4 with i9-10980XE. The machine comes with 2x 16GB dimms (description of machine on the web, no mods).

With the machine I purchased 2x HP 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-2933 ECC RegRAM (recommended accessoire in the shop). I installed them as per the instructions that come shipped with it and are on the internet. However, the Dimms are not recognized. 

What I ruled/tried out so far:

- it is all 16 GB Dimms

- New Dimms are installed in slots 3 and 6 (black slots as described in the instruction), old dimms are in 1 and 8

- Dimms in different configurations didn't work, resulting in the usual beep

- Updated Bios as the Dimms are not reconigzed there.

- HP Performance analysis tool shows Dimms 3 and 6 are filled, however marked as "Samsung - DISABLED" while the other Dimms that work are listed as "16 GB Samsung"

Can anybody help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

have you tried the old modules in all slots one by one
then the new ones one by one in each slot

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z4-g4-workstation/16449890/document/c05846113#AbT5

DDR4-2666 registered DIMMs

Only DDR4 DIMMs are supported.
Memory configurations using 32GB DIMMs require the HP Z4 Memory Cooling Solution, which is available both CTO and AMO.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

hi

have you tried the old modules in all slots one by one
then the new ones one by one in each slot

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z4-g4-workstation/16449890/document/c05846113#AbT5

DDR4-2666 registered DIMMs

Only DDR4 DIMMs are supported.
Memory configurations using 32GB DIMMs require the HP Z4 Memory Cooling Solution, which is available both CTO and AMO.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help Promothee.

The specifications you sent are probably likely outdated as they are not even listing the CPU I got installed. The specifications however list only DDR4 memory up to 2666 MT/s data rate is supported. 

I tried the trial and error approach you recommended in terms of adding Dimm by Dimm. As it turns out that I can do this with the orginally shipped Dimms but NOT for the Dimms I purchased with the machine. 

I suspect as they are recognized as Dimms but disabled and the specifications don't list them as being supported that they are simply not. I will return these to HP. 

While very happy with the swift reply of you, Promothee, I'm pretty annoyed about HP selling incompatible Dimms as "accesoires" for their PCs. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.