Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp Envy H8-1417c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my Ram and I am getting some conflicting information from different websites about how ram works.  One site says that if you have 4 ram slots then all 4 slots need the same sized ram with all the same specs from the same mfg in each slot for ram to work properly.  Another web site said the exact opposit.  That it really doesn't matter the size of ram in each slot as long as all the other specs are the same. 

Which one is right?

Here is what I have.  My motherboard is a 1pmmb-fm(formosa).  My cpu is intel core i7-3770.  In ram slot 1 and slot 3 I have two 8gb DDR3 ram purchased as a kit (which I recently installed).  in slot 2 (pre-installed) 4gb DDR3 ram that is mfg by Micron.  In slot 4 (pre-installed) I have a 8gb DDR3 ram mfg by samsung.

So based on what I have, does having mismatched Ram sizes with the same specs degrade my performance? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KeithB5 wrote:

Which one is right?

So based on what I have, does having mismatched Ram sizes with the same specs degrade my performance? 

@KeithB5

Both are right one way or the other BUT to be able to get full benefit of dual channel atchitecture uou need the first option. Running a micture of RAM may slow your machine a bit but unnoticable under normal conditions.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Following, I also wonder about that question, HP makes the **bleep** things....let's see if they give us a straight answer...!

HP Recommended

@KeithB5 wrote:

Which one is right?

@KeithB5

Both are right one way or the other BUT to be able to get full benefit of dual channel atchitecture uou need the first option. Running a micture of RAM may slow your machine a bit but unnoticable under normal conditions.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.