Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk 875-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to upgrade my RAM to a 3200mhz 16gb(x2 8gb)? Ive been trying to find answers if its possible but its seems like there are no absolute answers if its possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think i just solved this RAM issue. Unfortunately for the HP Omen Obelisk 875-0034. It cannot use just any RAM. So I found out that the CPU supports up to only 2666mhz. Since HP doesn’t have a XMP in the BIOS you have to use a Plug and play (auto detect feature) RAM. So with it being plug and play, it will recognize the host and automatically overclock it to the specified speed the host supports. So i checked out Hyper X gaming’s website about their RAM and they come with that feature. Good marketing there HP. Thats why the OMEN PC comes with HyperX RAM. 

I hope this information helps someone down the road. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@omenya , welcome to the Community.

@omenya wrote:

Is there a way to upgrade my RAM to a 3200mhz 16gb(x2 8gb)? No!  The processor only supports up to DDR4-2666: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191792/intel-core-i7-9700-processor-12m-cache-u...

Look at the section titled "Memory Types".  Here is the Product Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-obelisk-desktop-pc-875-0000a/23302709/model/28355573...

Look at the section titled "Memory upgrade information" for further confirmation.  HP would have to add a XMP to the BIOS/UEFI for the memory to be overclocked to a higher speed.  The basic speed of DDR4 memory is 2133 MHz.  It is already overclocked to 2666.

Ive been trying to find answers if its possible but its seems like there are no absolute answers if its possible. See my answer above.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Ok i see now. 

so i tried running a dual channel 8gb(x2) ddr4 2666mhz of RAM on my HP Omen desktop. Buts its only running at 2133mhz. Why is that?  

HP Recommended

@omenya 

It may be that you will have to buy the new memory from HP to have it run at 2666.  As I stated in my previous post, HP has built a XMP into the BIOS/UEFI to increase the speed to 2666.  It may not recognize other brands of memory.

HP Recommended

I think i just solved this RAM issue. Unfortunately for the HP Omen Obelisk 875-0034. It cannot use just any RAM. So I found out that the CPU supports up to only 2666mhz. Since HP doesn’t have a XMP in the BIOS you have to use a Plug and play (auto detect feature) RAM. So with it being plug and play, it will recognize the host and automatically overclock it to the specified speed the host supports. So i checked out Hyper X gaming’s website about their RAM and they come with that feature. Good marketing there HP. Thats why the OMEN PC comes with HyperX RAM. 

I hope this information helps someone down the road. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update on your situation, @omenya!

I know that it helped me and certainly will help others who have the same or similar problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.