Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 600-1000T
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

[EDIT: pasted in the resolution below]

Older HP Touchsmart (600-1000T) has developed a power supply issue. Random, complete power shutdowns that do not seem to align with temperature, cord, or OS status. Un/re-plugging it one or multiple times works, but only until the next outage (moments, hours, days or weeks later).

Our Touchsmart has been prone to random-seeming power outages. It’s a complete outage, as if someone knocked the cord out.

I don’t think it’s related to temperature. It’s wall-mounted in a clean household environment with plenty of ventilation. There is no dust clogging the vents. It can run for days or weeks without an issue, then fail repeatedly within a short time-frame, only to finally stabilize and stay on for long stretches. It sometimes fails once or twice and then runs fine for a long time.

I don’t think it’s a problem with the cord or the outlet. The cord rests on a shelf (and has done so for years), so it seems unlikely it be a break in the wire that’s causing the problem. Further, restarting can be done by either un/re-plugging it directly from the wall (leaving the ‘brick’ alone) or from where the main wall-cable enters the brick. That is, in either case, either the wall plug or the brick side of things are completely stationary when un/re-plugging.

I don’t think it’s an OS issue. Though by nature the outages mostly happen when it’s up and running (Win7), it often blinks out during POST, well before the OS starts to load.

I’m not sure where to look next. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rhythm

EDIT: SOLUTION

Users iomare and Grzwacz below suggested to look at the power adapter; they were right. 

I kept an eye on the LED on the brick part of the power adapter; it went out when the computer was down.

I picked up a $30 Pwr+ adapter (ASIN B004WDKRE0) and the issue never returned.

The Pwr+ adapter has an LED too, and neither it nor the computer has shut down since I replaced it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

When it happens to all the leds go out or do they stay on? Is there a led where the cord from the brick goes into the PC, does it stay on or off?

Let me know,

David

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

When it happens to all the leds go out or do they stay on? Is there a led where the cord from the brick goes into the PC, does it stay on or off?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Hello

I agree with you. Most likely not an operating system (Windows 7) problem. Only way to prove is to reinstall Windows 7. This requires backup data and a long process to get Windows 7 back to where it is now. A pain but you have to eliminate software or Windows driver problem. Could be some program you installed. Only way to solve this question is to strip Windows down to core system.

Now you have to look at hardware.

So one way to find problem is to try different power connection. So you have to try a different cord/power brick to remove this question. Also a different outlet to remove that question.

Could be port connection on PC where power cord connects to port.

This problem could be anything but seems to be a hardware problem. Power cord/power brick or motherboard VRM (Mosfet-capacitors-chokes) which control power phasing on motherboard. So this problem means HP factory service.

Grzy

HP Recommended

All LEDs/accessory lights I can see on the computer are off.  

There is an LED on the apdapter brick, but I'm going to have to wait until the power blinks out again to check if that too goes off.

I have not opened the case (yet) to see if there's an internal LED. That is, the ASUS motherboards I used in my desktop and HTPC builds have an LED next to the incoming power cable (the one from the PSU to the board) that lets me know when the board is plugged in but not 'on'. This is more of a diagnostic light, so I doubt (but am not sure) that it's included on the HP board.

The next time the power goes out, I'll first check to see if the adapter brick light went out. If it's at night, I'll make sure there's no ambient light in the area so I should be able to see if something is lit on the motherboard.  

HP Recommended

Thanks. I forgot another sign that it's not the operating system. It's a 'public' computer in the house (public as in it's out in the open and anyone can use it). So when my in-laws visit for a few days, I've left a USB drive with an Ubuntu image on it to keep it relatively safe. It's happened then, too --- abrupt, complete power shutdown regardless of whether Ubuntu was fully loaded and running or whether it was in mid-POST.

Have tried it on different outlets. Actually, that's how we first found out that 'merely' plugging/replugging was a short-term fix. 

I'm hesitant to see it as a loose connection issue. Of course anything is possible, but the physical act of plugging/re-plugging it is wholly separate from the connection into the back of the PC. It's wall-mounted, and the cables are in a snug chase, keeping them still. Plus, we've plugged/re-plugged at the wall and at the adapter; in both cases the three sockets (wall, adapter and back of the computer) were physically isolated from each other (i.e. when plugging/re-plugging in one area, there was no movement at the others).

I had called HP and due to its age, they no longer offer factory repair. I've found a replacement adapter brick, but was/am hoping there is something else I could check before spending the money on one.

Any chance there are technical hardware documents available?

HP Recommended

I am having the identical random shutdown issues on our much used family HP TouchSmart 600. Did anyone ever find a solution, for I would hate to scrap what has been a pretty decent single screen pc? All experience appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi paulb007,

In my situation it was the power adapter. I picked up a $30 Pwr+ adapter (ASIN B004WDKRE0) and the issue never returned. I followed the advice above and kept an eye on the LED on the brick part of the power adapter; it went out when the computer was down. The Pwr+ adapter has an LED too, and neither it nor the computer has shut down since I replaced it. Will try to copy this into the OP for future reference.

Hope this work for your computer!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.