Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590-p0050 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion 590-p0050 Desktop.  I would like to remove the 16GB Intel Optane M.2 NVMe and install a HP EX900 M.2 500GB PCIe 3.0 X4 Nvme 3D TLC NAND Internal SSD.   I would like to run the operating system on the SSD and use the HD for file storage.  Will this HP SSD work for this?  Is there a better solution for what I want to do?  Will I need to buy any software to move the operating system?  Thank you for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Sabotpen!

1) Is there a better alternative? I have seen several others here mention using a Samsung M.2 512GB SSD, but the HP ad mentioned compatibility.  Samsung makes great SSD's.  I have two of them in my custom build.  If you decide to use one of their SSD's, I suggest contacting their Tech Support for help with choosing the best one for your system.  This will save you time, money and frustration.

2) Will I need to buy any software to move the operating system or does it come with each SSD?  If you buy a Samsung SSD it comes with their Data Migration software.  This will allow you to clone the HDD to the SSD.  Also, it comes with their Magician software to allow you to tweak the SSD once it is installed.

3) Will removing the optane memory present any problems? I have installed HDs before, but this is my first SSD venture.  Here is a very good video on installing and disabling a Optane SSD:

This should get you started.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Sabotpen, welcome to the forum.

According to this ad for the HP SSD it should work fine in your computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your information.  HP’s ad is why I chose this SSD. 

1)  Is there a better alternative? I have seen several others here mention using a Samsung M.2 512GB SSD, but the HP ad mentioned compatibility. 

2)  Will I need to buy any software to move the operating system or does it come with each SSD? 

3)  Will removing the optane memory present any problems?  I have installed HDs before, but this is my first SSD venture.  Thank you so much for your assistance.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Sabotpen!

1) Is there a better alternative? I have seen several others here mention using a Samsung M.2 512GB SSD, but the HP ad mentioned compatibility.  Samsung makes great SSD's.  I have two of them in my custom build.  If you decide to use one of their SSD's, I suggest contacting their Tech Support for help with choosing the best one for your system.  This will save you time, money and frustration.

2) Will I need to buy any software to move the operating system or does it come with each SSD?  If you buy a Samsung SSD it comes with their Data Migration software.  This will allow you to clone the HDD to the SSD.  Also, it comes with their Magician software to allow you to tweak the SSD once it is installed.

3) Will removing the optane memory present any problems? I have installed HDs before, but this is my first SSD venture.  Here is a very good video on installing and disabling a Optane SSD:

This should get you started.

HP Recommended

@Sabotpen, the only thing that I want to add is, once you have the HDD cloned to the SSD, you should go into the BIOS and change the boot order to the SSD.  It should work as the boot drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.  What are your thoughts on using the HP Win 10 Recovery Thumb Drive for SSD installation?

All relevant data & drivers are on the Thumb Drive and it would give a new HP computer “Factory Fresh” start on the SSD.  It would seem to me that this would be easier than using the migration software.  Then reset BIOS to boot from SSD.

I read that there is a sticky post here that is a walk through with video for desktop SSD installation.  I am unable to find it.  Have you seen it?

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Sabotpen !

The Data Migration software is very easy to use.  You simply install the SSD into the socket.  Leave the HDD where it is installed.  Install the Data Migration software on the HDD and run it.  It will ask you for the Target drive and you will choose the SSD.  Once the HDD has been cloned onto the SSD, you go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the SSD.  Then, reboot.  The system should boot to the SSD.  You can use the HDD for storage.

You can try using the HP Recovery Thumb Drive, but it can be a bit picky with a new SSD.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of the information that you have provided.  It sounds like the Samsung SSD & software is the way to go!

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Sabotpen !

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.