Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570 p056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to replace my slimline DVD drive with an SSD. The drive has a slimline power connector, so it seems I will need to replace the PSU as well. I have a 500W OCZ that will fit in the space. The problem is that the DVD drive blocks my big hands from unplugging the 24 pin connector. How do I get the DVD out of the case? 

I have removed the front cover, the HD and the HD bracket, and every screw I can find that holds the DVD in place, but it just won't budge. 

Where do I go from here? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Since you didn't give the model, i guessed at this one...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05399708

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @whovous

REO

HP Recommended

I'd also like to try swapping out the video card, but the replacement is too large unless I remove the same pesky DVD drive. 

HP Recommended

I removed two screws from the front of the drive panel before posting my question. Your link says there are three screws, but I see no sign of a third. 

I am viewing all of this on a cell phone. Maybe I will see more when I get to a real monitor later today. 

HP Recommended

Hi

Since you didn't give the model, i guessed at this one...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05399708

HP Recommended

The model number is near the top of the original post:

Pavilion 570 P056

But you link shows a green button at p.12, box 4.  That button is completely invisible from every viewing angle, but I groped around inside until I found something to push and the drive came out easily.  Thanks for the link!

Stayed tuned for more questions, as I suspect removing the DVD drive isn't the complete cure-all I expected it to be.

HP Recommended

@whovous 

I guess the the videos are wrong???

CD release.PNG

REO

HP Recommended

Hi

No it wasn't, because you probably have a...

HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p056na 

OR    HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p056ng 

OR    HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p056nz 

OR    HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p056cn 

OR   ???????????????????????????????????

SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type msinfo32 Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Will pin it down, if it matters.

HP Recommended

REO51ST,

Were the videos wrong?  I can't say.  You gave me a link originally, but it appears that by accepting another answer, I caused that link to go away.  Anyhoo, I cannot now see your original link.

I tried following the original link on my cellphone and did not find a video before giving up the search.  That was a problem with my phone, I am sure.  I suspect if I had asked some of my questions before tearing my box apart, I could have made my life a lot easier.

HP Recommended

Lil_Boy_Blue,

I guess I should have guessed that simply copying the number from the big sticker on the side of the case wouldn't produce a complete answer.  But do all of these different model numbers have physically different cases and brackets?

My machine is in pieces, so I cannot follow the procedure you suggest.  It doesn't matter any more, but the product number from the bottom of the case is Z5M552AA#ABA.

Oh, I managed to get the bracket off once I realized that the third screw located 1.7 light years from the DVD actually was connected to the bracket.  I've established that the larger GPU will fit in the slot, and that the larger PSU will fit in the case.  I am not 100% sure both will fit at once, but I like my chances.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.