Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6-2469eo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP desktop with exactly the same config as described in this post: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-p6-2469eo-new-graph...

I have however not yet uppgradera my BIOS or any other system sw. I want to avoid that if possible - am not an expert tech. 

My problem is a noicy GPU fan. I therfore consider to replace my current  Nvidia Geforce GT 630 GPU with a compatible GPU. To avoid compatibility issues like power supply I can accept a GPU with lower capacity than current GPU. Maybe ASUS GT 710 will work? This one does not have a fan - would that be a problem? Will it work right out of the box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should uninstall all of that software including the audio driver.   That is the audio driver for your current video card's HDMI port, not the onboard PC audio.

You can save the drivers anywhere you want.   You will need to double-click and run the exe file to install the driver.

What I mean by W10 finding the graphics driver and automatically installing it is that W10 will install a generic Nvidia driver that is much older than the one you download from Nvidia.

So, W10 is not going to install the drivers that you downloaded.  You have to double click on the exe file to run those.

Do not install the new drivers before installing the video card.  Install the card first.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC is at BIOS revison 8.xx, then the fanless GT 710 should work fine.

They even make fanless GT 730 models which are a bit more powerful.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Express-Graphics-ZT-71115-20L/dp/B00R5UW038/ref=sr_1_3?keywords...

HP Recommended

@Trydal 

GT630 compared to the GT 710       GT630 compared to the GT730

BTW, the other link you gave had information error. The I5-3350P processor (yours) supports PCIEx16 Gen3.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thx for a very quick response. I will contact my local dealer and ask for more details. With this solution I will get rid of the fan once and for all and can keep my rather old PC for some time - it woks fine still. Will consider to replace the HDD with a SSD as well. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, replacing the mechanical hard drive with a SSD will really improve performance.

HP Recommended

Maybe stupid questions but do I have to make any preparations or can I just turn off the PC, replace the GPU and start the PC again? Or do I have to install drivers before I shut it down? Any other preparations?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Before you install the new graphics card:

Go to the windows control panel>programs>uninstall a program.

Let the list populate.  If there is any Nvidia software listed there, uninstall it.

Then go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device manager category.

Right click on the Nvidia GT 630 graphics adapter listed there.   Select Uninstall.  Check the Uninstall Driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC, and install your new video card.

HP Recommended

If, for some reason, the new unit does not work - can I easily revert back to my old one? The old drivers are not there anymore. 

HP Recommended

W10 should automatically reinstall the graphics driver for the GT 630, but just in case it doesn't, you can download the latest driver for it directly from Nvidia.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156780/en-us

HP Recommended

Hi.

It's me again. I really appreciate your support. The only Nvidia sw that appears in my sw list are Nvidia HD Audio driver 1.3.38.16, Nvidia PhysX System sw 9.12.1031 and Nvidia update 10.4.0. Should I uninstall all - even the audio driver?

As you suggested I have now downloaded the Nvidia drivers for my current GPU in case I have to revert back and Windows will not find them. The exe file is stored in the folder where downloaded files normally will be stored - is that ok or do I have to put the file somewhere else (will Windows find it here)? And finally(?) - should I put the driver installation file(s) for the new GPU in the same folder or should I even install them before I shut down the PC and insert the new GPU? Sorry for all these questions, but I just want to be sure I won't end up in a situation where the monitor will not work at all when I power on the machine again. Then I will be really lost...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.