Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presaro CQ5110Y Desktop
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello!

I am attempting to change a 80mm fan in my Compaq computer. The fan I want to change is, I believe, called the CPU fan. It has a lever next to it and 4 screws holding it down.

My question is this: Do I have to move the lever on the side of the fan in order to pull the fan up and proceed to remove the screws or do I just remove the 4 screws?  Also, how do I remove the screws considering the awkward position they are in?

(I've been working on trying to remove the screws; however, it is difficult to maneuver the screwdriver into the top of the screws to remove them. This is because part of the fan case is above the screws making it necessary to place the screwdriver sideways in order to remove the screws.)

Thank you for your response. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A smaller diameter phillips head screw drive should be used, straight down into the hole above the screw.

Case fan.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Margo1

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the CPU fan is being replaced and you want the Do's and Don'ts about the same,

I will be able to provide limited support as HP doesn't recommend replacing the fan on your own as it may impact damage upon other parts,

Nevertheless, to answer your question: the lever would remove the CPU, you could do that if you wish to remove the CPU and then the FAN, 

otherwise, you could just remove the FAN by taking off the screws rather than pulling the lever,

Follow this link for more details: Click here

Let me know if you need any further assistance,

Happy to help,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your response. I am reading the link to the article but I still have some questions.

The reason why I am asking about removing the fan, which upon further research I think is on top of a heat sink, is because I've already replaced the 90mm case fan and the power supply unit (which has a fan inside of it), thinking that they were the cause of the fan noise I began hearing some time ago. When I contacted the seller of the power supply unit that I recently installed, he told me that the noise could be coming from the fan on the CPU.

If I just change the fan, do you think the fan noise will stop or must I also replace the fan with the heatsink? I really don't want to fool around with the processor, and I've already purchased a 80mm by 25 mm fan thinking that I could just replace the last fan in my console that has not yet been replaced. If I have to get into the processor to replace the heatsink, I believe that means I would have to purchase a fan attached to a heatsink, correct?

Also, if I can just replace the fan, how do I maneuver to remove the screws? I do have a Phillips screwdriver, but I still have problems removing the four screws from the fan because of their position.

Thank you for your response.

HP Recommended

A smaller diameter phillips head screw drive should be used, straight down into the hole above the screw.

Case fan.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I am going to purchase the screwdriver that you suggested and change the fan only. I will let you know if this works to stop the fan noise on my computer Let's hope:smileyhappy:!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.