Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion P6837C Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have comcast internet service that is supposed to be 150mb down. The max I can get is 95mb down. I've had comcast out to look at my equipment and they say nothing is wrong. 

I just realized that my network card is 10/100 and my lan connection says "Connected at 100mpbs". Is this the reason why i can't get over 95mb?

Next, what card will fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. My best bet is: that slot is for a wireless card but I don't know which one would work.
  2. My link is one example. Please check the back of your machine to see it uses low profile or not. I believe it uses regular height. You can ask for a similar one with regular height (to match the screw hole).
  3. Yes. You need to check dricer. Many vendors now don't supply a CD, you have to go to vendor's site to download driver.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, your machine uses:

LAN: 10-Base-T

• Technology: PCI Realtek RTL8105E
  • Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100 Mb/s
  • Transmission standards:10-Base-T Ethernet

Source:   http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02820972

and it has

• Expansion Slots
    • 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
    • 3 PCI Express x1 slots
    • 1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

That means you can use spare PCIe x1 slot to add 1Giga PCIe-NIC card such as:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Low-Profile-TG-3468/dp/B003CFATNI?th=1

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you! A few more questions. I just realized that the current network card is on the actual motheboard?. Funny to me.

1) what's the pci express minicard slot for? and where is it on the motherboard? 

2) on the amazon link,  it says it's low profile mount, that will still fit in my slot, yes?

3) this computer's motherboard can handles a 1 gigabit card and support that speed after it's installed?

HP Recommended

Hi,

1. My best bet is: that slot is for a wireless card but I don't know which one would work.
  2. My link is one example. Please check the back of your machine to see it uses low profile or not. I believe it uses regular height. You can ask for a similar one with regular height (to match the screw hole).
  3. Yes. You need to check dricer. Many vendors now don't supply a CD, you have to go to vendor's site to download driver.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.