Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0039c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

My HP Desktop has a SAMSUNG MZNLN128HAHQ-000H1 system drive.  It is rapidly running out of space and I would like to replace it with a compatible 1TB one.  I am considering a SAMSUNG 860 EVO MZ-N6E1T0BW.  Would it be compatible?  Any other recommended compatible ones?  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If that adapter does not support a SATA interface, you would have to put the NVMe SSD in the enclosure.

You can do a search and see if they make adapters that work for both.

I don't know of any offhand.

Yes, the PC's motherboard supports NVMe SSD's.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC has the Berks motherboard, which supports a NVMe M.2 SSD.

NVMe SSD's provide much faster sequential read/write speeds than SATA SSD's do.

HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0039c PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Here is a related discussion.

Solved: Can I install a WD Black SN750 SSD, 500 GB into my Envy 795-... - HP Support Community - 808...

I recommend this NVMe SSD for your PC...

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG (MZ-V8V1T0B/AM) 980 SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.  Thank you for your quick response.  If you are confident that the one you recommend will work with my system I will order it.

Do you have any recommendation of how to make the change without reinstalling Windows and other programs?

Regards,

Rick

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Rick.

I have no reason to believe that the drive I recommended would not work in your PC.

As far as transferring files...that may be a bit tricky.

If your PC has a USB 3.1 or USB C port you can buy a USB 3.1/USB C to NVMe SSD enclosure since there is only one M.2 slot.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVME PCI-E M...

Then you can use free cloning software such as Macrium reflect to clone your existing drive configuration to the 1 TB SSD.

When the cloning process is completed, you will probably end up with 128 GB on the1 TB drive and a partition of unallocated space for the rest of the drive.

There should be some free partition tools you can use to merge the 128 GB system partition to fill up the rest of the unallocated space.

Generally, you won't be able to that using the Windows disk management program because the unallocated space may not be adjacent to the system partition.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul.  I was thinking that if I have to purchase an adapter to do the transfer I should use the adapter for my current SSD and install the new one on the motherboard.  I can then boot from the USB and after the upgrade I can use my old SSD as a USB drive.  Your thoughts?

If I do that I noticed that the adapter you recommended explicitly says that it does not work with SATA interface.  I think my current SSD has a SATA interface.  Is that correct?  If so can you recommend another adapter that would work?

I assume that my motherboard must be capable of handling either SATA or NVME. Correct?

Rick

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If that adapter does not support a SATA interface, you would have to put the NVMe SSD in the enclosure.

You can do a search and see if they make adapters that work for both.

I don't know of any offhand.

Yes, the PC's motherboard supports NVMe SSD's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.