Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 1360t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion 1360t desktop computer that I bought in 2013, and the fan on the video card that came with it (1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7570 [HDMI, DVI, VGA via adapter], PCIE x16) has started getting noisy. I cleaned out the dust from inside the computer, but it hasn't really helped, so I figure it will need replacing.

It's been a while since I've shopped for computer parts, so how do I go about deciding on a replacement card, especially for an older computer? My initial thought was to find the exact same card, but I'm not sure if that is best. (I did find a 2GB model on Amazon for $100, and a somewhat similar one on Newegg for $180, but then there are also some no-name cards for $50-60.)

I don't need anything fancy, just something to last a few more years at least. I use this computer as more of a media server, and do watch videos on it regularly. No gaming or much image editing, or anything like that.

Ideally I'd like to spend around $100, but I'm willing to spend a little more if need be. Definitely nothing over $200 though.

Thanks in advance for your help!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

What BIOS version do you have installed on your PC?

I see on the driver page versions 8.20, and 8.21.

If you have either of those versions installed, you may want to consider the fanless models of the Nvidia GT 730 or GT 1030.

They are in the price range you are interested in, and you may even be able to find some used but tested and working ones on eBay.

I have both of these models installed in two HP 8200 Elite CMT's manufactured in 2011. 

They have the Intel 2nd gen core processors.

Amazon.com: ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 Zone Edition 4GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (x8 lanes) Graphics Card ...

Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC 2GB GDDR5 Passive, Low Profile Graphics Card 02G-P4-6332-KR: Com...

The links are for reference only...I can't believe the second one is sold for $229.00!

I only paid $89 for it new two years ago.

Anyway, see if you can find one of those two models with or without a fan for cheap.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

What BIOS version do you have installed on your PC?

AMI 7.15, 7/12/2012

I'm not able to find any updates available, though possibly since I updated it to Windows 10 on my own (it originally came with Windows 7). 

Does this make a difference with the video card?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, it makes a big difference.

Is this your model and motherboard?

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t Product Specifications and Configurable Options | HP® Customer Support

When I look at the driver page for that model, the only BIOS updates are 8.21 or 8.20.

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t CTO Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Since you have W10 installed, I don't recommend that you update the BIOS, since the BIOS was not written to be run on W10.

You'd have to reinstall W7, update the BIOS and then update back to W10 for free.

If you do not update the BIOS in W7, you are going to have to either replace the video card with the same model, or install an older version of a Nvidia graphics card such as the GT 630.

I believe you can get fanless models of the lower power GT 610.  I believe the GT 630 comes with a fan.

The GT 6xx graphics cards are no longer for sale, so you'd have to find one on eBay.

If you have a different motherboard, and v7.15 is the latest BIOS update for it, then no Nvidia GT 7xx or newer will work.

HP Recommended

That is the correct model and motherboard. I'm pretty sure I always did the updates when they came up, but I think the HP Support app also stopped offering any updates at some point. I only upgraded to Windows 10 in the last few years though.

Unfortunately when I view the second link, it won't show me anything, since I'm not running Windows 7 or 8 anymore. If I were to be able to find the BIOS files, what would happen if I did try to update? 

I definitely don't want to go back to Windows 7 and then back to Windows 10 again, so I guess it seems I'm limited to the same model or the one you mentioned. 

I did find a 2GB version of the same card I have for $100 on Amazon. Would that still work, though what I have now is 1GB?

Thanks for all your help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the BIOS updates are under the W7 and W8 driver pages and you have to change the operating system on the support page to view the drivers.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1624229627958.png

I don't see any reason why the 2 GB version of the same model card you have now wouldn't work.

You can also go for the older Radeon HD 6450 1 GB fanless model.  They are dirt cheap on eBay in used but tested and working condition.

They are not as powerful as the card you have now though.

HP Recommended

If I did update the BIOS on Windows 10, would it kill my computer or something? 🙂

I think I'll try to replace the same card if I can find a reliable source.

HP Recommended

That is a definite possibility, which is why I don't recommend doing it in W10.

You could run the update in W7 compatibility mode on W10, but there is no guarantee that it would not wreck your PC.

You could also just remove the video card, save $100 and use the onboard Intel graphics adapter, until you replace the PC.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

You could also just remove the video card, save $100 and use the onboard Intel graphics adapter, until you replace the PC.

I didn't realize this was an option! What sort of video quality would that give me? 

If/when the fan on the card dies, would it be bad to keep running it with the card in place? There are 2 other fans in the base of the machine, but I'm not sure if that would be enough to cool off the card as well.

HP Recommended

If you don't use the PC for video games or Adobe Photoshop or other graphics intensive work, the onboard Intel graphics would be fine.

By video games, I don't mean Candy Crush or Solitare...I mean the video games that really put a load on the graphics.

You can watch videos, do almost anything.

You can continue to use the AMD graphics card until you can't stand the noise or the fan conks out.

You would not be able to continue to use the graphics card with no fan.

The GPU would overheat and fry in probably 10 minutes time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.