Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Slimline 290-a0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to replace the HD with an SSD (256 GB) to speed up my computer The answers I've seen don't refer to my SPECIFIC model number. I also am NOT very savvy.  I see  images of, rectangular black units and then I also see long, units with electrical contacts protruding  from  the end. The former are called "Solid State Hard drive" and the latter are called "Internal Solid State Drive" . One emphasizes "Hard Drive" and the other does not. Makes no sense to me.

Hope you can help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@braxx201,

The PNY NVMe m.2 SSD 250GB is rated up to  twice as fast on the write. UP to  5 times on the read.  As long you you can get the data on the 1TB to less than 225GB.  You will still need the M.2 NVME to USB3 adapter. and the proper software I mentioned.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@braxx201,

You used the word specific model. So what is it?   HP 290 is a series.  The model is the a0 whatever.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

My specific model number AS REPORTED by HP when  HP accesses my computer is : 290-a0011.

Motherboard  Cosmo A6.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

@braxx201 

Thank you for clarifying. Now the good news.  Your unit is shown here.

1) It has an M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD. That is an NVMe device socket. (5+ faster than SATA600Mb/s)

2) It has only 2 SATA data headers (SATA600Mb/s)

Here is an article on SATA SSD speed limitations.  It includes the M.2 NVMe device discussed.

You only wanted to add a 256GB device.  Not a great idea. A 500-512 is faster.  To achieve a smaller device you either re-install WIN 10 fresh, or clone. Here is a explanation of cloning to a smaller device.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/clone-larger-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html

https://www.ubackup.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cloning-a-larger-hdd-to-a-smaller-ssd.1990681/

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

There seem to be two kinds of drives:  a: thin rectangular unit in a black case, with, I assume connectors or wires needed and b:  a flat rectangular  "card" with contacts at one end that i assume can slip into a socket on the board. I haven't actually seen any in the flesh -  just images on the Web and hard to fully understand) With the Virus, can't go out too much until ready to buy.

SO I, need help in figuring out which to get, and  how to connect it to do the cloning  AND then replacing the existing HD. Specific models would really be a BIG help!

HP Recommended

@braxx201 

If you agree a 500GB will be OK, here it is.

The Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVMe (500GB)     Video on install.

If you just want it just a simple clone, 1TB to 1TB, this is your choice.   Video of the install

Then you could just use the Samsung Data Migration (free software).

You will need a USB 3.0 to NVMe adapter to start with, then you swap out the NMVe and HD.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

That is a lot more money than the 256 GB which is all I really need. it also seems  that there are 'cloning"  programs  to downsize my HDD to the lessor capacity. Hope you can help me here.

HP Recommended

@braxx201,

Please name the exact SSD 256 NVMe that you chose so I can look at the specs.

Your existing HD would have to have less than 220 GB of data.  A 256 GB formatted is only 229 GB.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Looking at Crucial MX 500 250GB  3D  NAND SATA M2 

(I don't know what this all means but someone has recommended this IF it fits!)

Supposing this is good, I guess I need to do a "cloning" and would need help with that. My usage is  116 GB

HP Recommended

@braxx201,

Your premise was to increase the data speed of your computer. That will not happen using SATA.

That m.2 SATA is really the same speed as your installed hard drive. It will have less than 550Mb/s transfer rate, the same speed of your hard drive. The NMVe is 7 times faster at 500GB range. It is only 3 times faster at the 256GB range. Some cheap chips are only 2 times faster at 256GB.

That is why although I back up a 8 GB file, I use a SATA 120GB M.2 SSD with a USB 3.0 adapter.   It is 10 times faster  than a 16 GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. Both are at USB3.0 capabilities. Do you get the point?   I know your a novice,  so I tried to be gentle.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.