Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP M/N:MB2000EBZQC (Seagate Constellation ES M/N:ST2000NM0011)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I had purchased 2x HP M/N:MB2000EBZQC (Seagate Constellation ES M/N:ST2000NM0011) and they are supposed to be SATA 3 6GB/s transfer rate drives by Seagate but the drives are only running at SATA 2 3GB/s. Does anyone know what speed the drives are supposed to be? According to a Seagate tech, the HP drives are OEM and have custom firmware. Did HP install firmware to "dumb down" the transfer rate of the drives from SATA 3 to SATA 2? I so, WHY would the do this?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Scooter_2478,

SATA speeds are based on factors, 1) Complete chipset and 2) hard drive specs.  Drives will default to the SATA speed of the host computer. Download this program.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Indeed: where do you connect them to?

HP Recommended

@krzemien,

Do you havre a point?

I was chanllenging the OP to mention the computer model .

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I'm curious what OP connects these disks to, i.e. PC model and its chipsets etc.

Is this point good enough for you so I can keep responding / commenting / contributing?

HP Recommended

@krzemien,

Your point is well taken, as explained now. Keep on tasking these OP's.

The OP is playing a part number game !!   We got spoofed.

The MB2000EBZQC is Sata 300 as shown here    and here

The Seagate ST2000NM001 is SATA 600 as shown here

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I had posted on this forum for the hardware which is "HP" SATA hard drives made by Seagate.

My system is custom built. Heres the specifications:

PSU: 1000W

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5

CPU: Intel core i5 7600k

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB Armor MK2

RAM: 2x 8GB G.Skill DDR4 @ 3000mhz

M.2: 256GB Western Digital Black WDC WDS256G1X0C @ 4000+ R/W

HDD: 2x HP M/N:MB2000EBZQC Seagate Constellation ES M/N:ST2000NM0011 (same drive)

DVD: SATA HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F

HP Recommended

OK, so assuming that disks are SATA III and they should work as such. Where do you see them exactly connected / recognised as SATA II?

Also, there's no jumper there that limits the speed, is there?

[quote]Did HP install firmware to "dumb down" the transfer rate of the drives from SATA 3 to SATA 2? I so, WHY would the do this?[/quote]

My quick research seems indicating that it might be a duff firmware installed on the drives.

HP Recommended

When I first installed the drives I had done a DiskMark benchmark on the drives in RAID0 and the score was above 400+mbps. When I had first noticed the speed change I checked Intel Rapid Storage Technology app and it showed Transfer Rate 3Gb/s (SATA II). After that I ran another benchmark and the score was arround 200+mbps. I recently looked at CrystalDiskInfo which shows Transfer Rate SATA/300|SATA/300 and HWINFO shows Serial ATA 3Gb/s @ 3Gb/s. the model numbers show as the HP MB2000EBZQC (Firmware HPG2) but the Serial Numbers are Seagate Z1P30D81 & Z1P33DNA using CrystalDiskInfo & HWINFO. The drive has pins but no jumpers and its pins look like the audio connector on optical drives.Seagate.jpg

heres one of the Hard Drives.20190424_1311301.jpg

HP Recommended

Get one of these chappies:

http://hddscan.com/

http://www.hdtune.com/

And check what they report under Tools / DriveID or Info tab.

I assume you have the latest RST driver installed?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.