Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy 700-414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On the internet there has been some conversations that of the 4 available sata ports on the  2af7 motherboard, some ports have different speed capibilities. Is this a fact or do all of the ports have the same speed capibility?

Also must the boot drive (ssd) be in port  0?

Thanks again

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lc1500,

Be assured all 4 headers are the same in that unit.   All are SATA type SATA-III 6.0Gb/s.

About that SSD.   It should be in Sata header 0.  That is where you original boot drive resided.  You will need cloning software, see here for an example.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@lc1500

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Good question ...

Here is the link to the specs for the motherboard for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04453446

It doesn't say much about the SATA ports, so they are most likely only SATA 1.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@lc1500,

Would you please post the product number (off the tag) on the case.  The HP 700-414 is stated with the Mephis-B board, and the H87 chipset. This chipset does support Sata3 , or commonly called Sata 6GB/sec.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

From what I can gather, the following details the mother board:

Motherboard
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model 2AF7 (SOCKET 0)
Version 1.04
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Haswell
Chipset Revision 06
Southbridge Vendor Intel

It did come with a HD sata 3

Hard drives
ST2000DM001-1ER164
Manufacturer Seagate
Heads 16
Cylinders 243,201
Tracks 62,016,255
Sectors 3,907,024,065
SATA type SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ACS2

Does this help?

HP Recommended

@lc1500,

Be assured all 4 headers are the same in that unit.   All are SATA type SATA-III 6.0Gb/s.

About that SSD.   It should be in Sata header 0.  That is where you original boot drive resided.  You will need cloning software, see here for an example.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thanks again for the clarity. I have the SSD in slot / position 1. What will moving it to slot 0 do?

Fred

HP Recommended

@lc1500,

After cloning original HD to SSD, you to swap it's cable to header0.  The BIOS scans the headers.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Ahhhh.. Is that why I dont see the SSD in BIOS's boot order?

HP Recommended

As a follow up.. I changed the cables so that the SSD is on port 0 and for wharever reason, the performance (both sequencial and random read write) has increased by about 15%.

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.