Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC IDS Base Models (ArticunoI)

I'm trying to install a SB AE5-plus in my Omen 45L but the system will not recognize it, it doesn't show up in device manager or anywhere else. This should be a simple upgrade to the onboard sound, what am I missing?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It would have been nice if you had taken the moment to call it a sound blaster instead of using the part number.

Disclosing which operating system your PC is running also would be a nice gesture. You did not do that.

More information is a good thing.

There is no support for the sound blaster AE5 Plus beyond Windows 10, so if you are running Windows 11 as an OS that is the answer.

Try installing it in compatibility mode.

It is surprising that Dev Manager does not respond to the card being installed.

The slot could have failed or the Sond blaster card could be a failed unit as well.

Have you tried a different PCIe slot to see if the same issue exists?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry, after reading dozens of other posts here I noticed that everyone was referring to the Sound Blaster cards as SB and I did the same. When I signed up for this community and added a device to my profile, it expressly asked me for the OS version, I assumed (yeah, I know) that when I selected my device for this post it would include that info. Again, sorry. Per Creative the AE5-plus is indeed compatible with Windows 11 and 11 is listed in the driver info. My HP Omen 45L only has one PCIe slot, and no other expansion slots. I should have dug a little deeper into this pc before I bought it, it's in a nice (giant) case but seems to be pretty limited as far as upgradability. I've been digging around and it appears that a lot of folks have the same issue with trying to add PCIe sound cards in newer HP computers with no real solution found. Bummer.

HP Recommended

What is the complete product name or system SKU for your Omen  desktop PC?

Never mind, I found the support portal for it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-45l-gaming-desktop-pc-gt22-0000i/2100827516/model/21...

The BlizzardOC motherboard

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-45l-gaming-desktop-pc-gt22-0000i/2100827516/model/21...

It has two PCIe slots, one of which is probably already in use for a video card.

You can test the PCIe slot by putting a different PCIe device in it.

If the device works, that would mean that the Sound Blaster card is faulty.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.