Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a Z Machine (

HP Z4 G4 Workstation) 

that I can't get the serial number from.  It is on the label on the PC but the BIOS doesn't show it and running the PS CMD get-wmiobject win32_bios does not return an SN.  I've read the posts to go in and edit the fields but there is no way to edit any of the settings, they just show black blocks where the #s should be.  There's got a be a way to resolve this, anyone come across this issue?  This is a problem because the SN is how we manage these in Intune.   I've reset bios to default,  updated it as well to no avail.  Thanks for any suggestions!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You will need to contact a commercial HP Service Center.  It takes a proprietary software to edit the grayed out fields in the BIOS.

Depending on the type of warranty that was purchased, you might be able to get a Service Engineer  to put in the serial number. That is one reason that Onsite warranty/repair service has benefits.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, @Jackfh 

You used to be able to enter/change a serial number in HP business-class PC's by following the guidance at the link below.

HP Business Desktops - How to Correct an Invalid Electronic Serial Number in BIOS | HP® Customer Sup...

I once replaced a motherboard in one of my HP 8200 Elite business PC's and changed the serial number to match the one on the PC's case using the method described in the document with no problem.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if that can be done on your PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.  I wasn't able to access those features and wound up submitting a ticket.  They say a MB replacement is needed and it's hung up due to the parts pipeline cluster.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.