Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-p024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know if a Samsung 960 EVO series 250 gb PCIe NVMe M.2 Internal ssd (MZ-V6E250BW) is compatible with my PC (Lubin Motherboard) and how to install it

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest that you consider the Samsung 960 EVO m.2 NVMe 512 GB model. This size should allow you to use the HP recovery media to install the HP system as it was delivered on day one.  A 250 GB model may or may not work for using the HP Recovery Media. Additionally, I suggest that you download the Samsung NVMe driver from Samsung and install it after your PC boots up with the Samsung NVMe SSD. The basic W10 driver will work in the meantime.

1. Backup your data and be sure to create the HP external recovery media to USB2 16 GB flash.
  2. Update the diagnostics and run a full set to make sure that your PC is stable. Tap the ESC key after a power on then F2 when the menu appears.
  3. Review the HP Support site for a BIOS update  (SSID 82F2)and/or use the HP Support Assistant to locate a BIOS update. Update the BIOS.
  4. Power off and unplug your PC.
  5. Inspect the insides.  Look at the below image and make sure that the m.2 mounting standoffs have at least one screw else you will need to make sure to obtain one from your local PC parts or repair shop.
  6. Unplug the existing HD.
  7. Install the Samsung m.2 NVMe SSD.  This video is an example of how to do so.  There are many other videos on the net.
  8. Once the SSD is installed, plug your PC back in and power up to the Setup menu screen by taping the ESC key.
  9. Now tap F12 to get into the BIOS.  Go to the Security Topics---> Secure Boot Configuration-->now disable Legacy Support and accept the change (F10).
  10. Power off your PC and insert the external HP recovery media.
  11. Power on the PC, tap the ESC key and then go to the Boot Device Option (F9) and select the recovery media that is marked EFI or UEFI and boot up the recovery media and follow the on screen instructions.
  12. Once your HP recovery is successful then you can plug in the old hard drive and completely format it to remove all partitions.

Lubin m2 SSD slot.jpg

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I have been advised by four separate HP support staff (three on online chat and one on telephone) that the Lubin motherboard is not compatible with a SDDs with a capacity greater than 256GB.

The 256GB SSD that came with my HP PC is rapidly filling up, especially with all of these big Windows 10 updates and it looks like I will have to replace my HP PC that is not even 12 months old yet.

HP Recommended

Hi SymphonyNick

HP Support knows more about their systems than I do.

But a limit on the capacity of the SSD does not make any sense. If your MB supports SATA or PCIe NVME 3x4 M.2 drives then there should be no obstacle to the size of the SSD.

Older Windows operating systems had limits on HDD capacity due to OS limitations when using MBR on a Legacy BIOS.

W10 using GPT can accommodate extremely large HDDs or SSDs.

Tom

HP Recommended

I totally agree Tom and despite receiving the same advice from four separate HP support people, I'm still not convinced that they are correct.

I just wonder if they look at the spec of the PC, see that it is sold with a 256GB SSD and from that, they just deduce that it is not campatible with a higher capacity drive.

Very poor if that's the case.

HP Recommended

Hi Nick

I did not look at the MB.

The capacity of the drive is limited by the length of the M.2 drive.

Maybe your MB does not support 2280 or 22110 length drives. This will limit the amount of  NAND flash chips that can be mounted on the M.2 drive.

HP Support may be correct.

Tom

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi Nick

Thanks for the link. 

It looks like your MB supports 2242 and 2260 M.2 drives. 2280 drives support higher capacity.

This could limit capacity on your MB to 256 GB.

You may have to see if you can find a 2260 drive which supports up to 512 GB to go beyond the 256 GB limitation.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Thanks.

Interestingly, Crucial advise that my specific PC can take a 2TB SSD.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-570-p088na

Nick

HP Recommended

Hi Nick

Checked the Crucial link but only see compatible 2.5 inch SATA SSDs.

I am referring to M.2 gumstick SSD which installs directly on the MB.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.