Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
23-q159na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

My AOI currently has a 1TB HDD fitted which I would like to upgrade to a 1TB SSD - should this work? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Simmo23,

Here is the Upgrade and Service Manual.    Installing an SSD 2.5" will NOT give you any speed increase over the 3.5" 7200 RPM hard drive. That is just plain whimsy. A folk tale.  See here.   The only gain is reliability and lower power needs. Typically you use a clone application to transfer everything at once. That requires a temporary 2.5" caddy to USB3, and internal 2.5 to 3.5 adapter tray to mount the SSD 2.5" drive.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, @wb2001 

The link you posted compares 3.5" HDD's with 2.5"  HDD's, not SSD's.

I can say first hand that a SSD will run circles around any 3.5" mechanical hard drive.

Having been late to the party, I wanted to see what all this hoopla was about as to why everyone wanted to replace their hard drives with SSD's.

I couldn't see the justification for spending 2 - 3x the money for the same storage capacity.

So one day, I decided to buy a small 120 GB Intel SSD for one of my HP business class notebooks, replacing the 320 GB 7,200 RPM hard drive it came with.  Cost me $60 bucks.

Unbelievable difference in performance.  The notebook booted up much faster...10 seconds vs 30.

The seek times were greatly reduced, the power consumption and heat output less.

Just a complete win overall, minus the storage capacity.

So, I went and replaced every mechanical hard drive with a SSD I could live with as far as storage size, and have not looked back.

The best upgrade return for my money ever, and I have done lots of different upgrades to my PC's.

@Simmo23   Do it!

The only other thing is you will need a 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapter to properly mount the smaller SSD where the 3.5" drive goes.

The product specs indicate your PC comes with a 1 TB hard drive.

If you can live with half that space, a 500 GB SSD is not too costly.

This is the one I recommend, which today provides the best performance for the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WDS500G2B0A-Blue-Internal/dp/B073SBZ8YH/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1...

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717173

I submit this article for your review...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023.html

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

You were right, I was in the HD (mechanical) thoughts.  I gave you a Kudo........  Sorry.

@Simmo23,

I must apologize.  My thoughts were on mechanical devices, not electronic.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.