cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
prenk1mt
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

SSD compatibility and installation

HP Recommended
Omen by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-1040st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am looking to add an SSD to my system that I can use for booting Windows as well as storing some games that I frequently play.  Being new to upgrading, I just want to make sure the one I'm looking to purchase will work with what I have and that I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I currently just have one 2TB  7200 rpm SATA drive installed so I believe I should have plenty of slots to add an SSD.

I have an i9-9900k processor and RTX 2080. Not sure if any more information is needed spec wise, if there is I would be happy to provide it. 

This is what I'm looking to get:  WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS100T3X0C

Will this work with what I have or do I need to find something else? 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,506 9,149 2,950 11,185
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@prenk1mt , welcome to the Community.

You don't have to use any of the drive bays to install a SSD.  According to the Motherboard specifications, there are "Two M.2 socket 3, key M (one for SSD card PCIe x4)".  You can find this information in the section titled "Expansion slots".  The M.2 that you listed should work fine.  However, you can actually use a PCIe x4, M.2.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain how to transition from your HDD to a M.2, SSD: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Upgrading-Desktop-or-Laptop-to-a-SSD/ta-p/73048...

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
98,849 37,891 12,838 27,087
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@prenk1mt 

It is a CTO machine, I can't get its REAL specs but based on the following information

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06385121#AbT2

You can add M.2 NVMe SSD drive to your machine and make it as primary drive. The M.2  WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe should work.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,506 9,149 2,950 11,185
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@prenk1mt , welcome to the Community.

You don't have to use any of the drive bays to install a SSD.  According to the Motherboard specifications, there are "Two M.2 socket 3, key M (one for SSD card PCIe x4)".  You can find this information in the section titled "Expansion slots".  The M.2 that you listed should work fine.  However, you can actually use a PCIe x4, M.2.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain how to transition from your HDD to a M.2, SSD: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Upgrading-Desktop-or-Laptop-to-a-SSD/ta-p/73048...

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation