Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased a new Samsung EVO 870 1Tb SATA SSD for use as a secondary drive in my HP Z4 G4 workstation and can't seem to get it to work.

I am running into several problems when the drive is connected.

The drive is recognised by BIOS and I either am able to boot to Windows (10) normally but the drive isn't there (not in disk management, not in Device Manager)...like Windows doesn't know it is connected.

or

I can't get the system to boot at all, I get to the Protected by HP Sure Start Screen and the circles spin forever...until I turn of the computer....waited for a good 10 minutes.

I have done the following :-

Checked for a BIOS update - None available.

Swapped SATA cables - Same result.

Swapped SATA ports - Same result.

Disconnected everything else (other SATA SSD and DVD drive) - Same result.

Tried the EVO in another PC and is found first time in Windows and several times after restarting the machine.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or do Samsung SSDs not play well with HP workstations ??

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Got off the phone with HP support who gave me a big long talk about only testing certain drives and supporting certain drives in the Lab and couldn't give me any reason why the drive won't.

They proceeded to direct me the HP store and the  Sata drive currently available, twice the price of the Samsung I brought....

...funny that !....anyone would think it was a monopoly.

Its almost like they want to be like Apple and lock you into their eco-system.

The "technical support" guy was more like a sales rep rather than support I could almost hear him flicking through the sales manual.

I've have several computers over the years, built several in the past with "off the self" parts and never run into issues like this.

Perhaps they should put a label on every consumer product they sell, "only compatible with HP equipment"...see how may sales they get then.

HP Recommended

So having no help from HP or Samsung (email support only, 2 -3 business days), I was looking for alternatives to both Samsung and HPs SSDs. 

Came across Crucial, which has a compatibility checker. Ran than and it listed several models. Unsure after my current experience I did a "live chat" with an agent. I put my concerns to them and they replied that it was fine the MX line has been tested by them to work with HP z4 workstations.

Two days later and I installed an MX500 1tb sata SSD,  no boot up issues, no hanging, no windows not finding the drive.

Worked first time no questions asked.

HP Recommended

Bought Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1Tb.
I have two computers: HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT and HP Desktop 460-p2xx.
Windows 10 Home Explorer (64bit) saw the new SSD on both computers via a USB 3.0 - DATA adapter.
Then I downloaded the Samsung Data Migration cloning program and the problems started: this program on both computers did not want to recognize the new SSD connected via a USB 3.0 to DATA adapter. A very long correspondence with Samsung support ended with the fact that I was offered to bring the SSD for a test to my service center. I did so, the test result showed that the SSD is completely functional.
As a result of a short search and reading the reviews, I decided to use the free version of the Macrium cloning program, downloaded the Reflect 7 Free (Backup at Home) program from their official website and installed it on the HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT. Then I did the following:
- turned off the Internet;
- disabled (exit) antivirus Kaspersky;
- disabled (close) the Google Drive synchronization program;
- disabled Windows firewall;
- disabled (exit / close) all other programs in the taskbar tray (on the right, where the clock is).
I connected Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1Tb via a USB 3.0 to DATA adapter.
Started cloning.
A few minutes later, the message "No access to the SSD disk" popped up, I clicked the specified link to the Windows menu section and provided "shared access" to the SSD.
And then - lo and behold! - I didn't do anything else! ..
Two hours later, the clone was created, I turned off the computer, opened the lid and installed a new SSD, after that I switched cables from the old HDD to the new SSD and turned on the computer with a shudder! ..)
And again - about a miracle, a miracle !!! - it immediately loaded in 25 seconds and now "flies" like Elon Musk's Starship !!!
Glory to Macrium for the miracle product !!! ..
And, of course, the well-deserved glory of HP for very reliable computers - we have a lot of them both at work and at home, and for many years they serve very reliably under very serious loads! ..
I wish you all good health, good luck and fast SSD !!! ..)  

HP Recommended

Thats great, but I can only point to my own expereince. I sent the 870 back to Samsung for warranty replacement and guess what, the replacement didn't work either.

I also borrowed a brand new 860 pro from work to try and it wasn't recognised either.

There seems to be an issue with HP workstations and Samsung SSDs (SATA 2,5"). The Crucial drive I purchased worked first time and is running fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.