Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp compaq pro 6300 sff
Ubuntu LTS

Today morning , as usual I switched on my apc ups switch then pc switch , but instead of starting , 

1. monitor was not showing anything,  it was on with its power indicating light on

2. after waiting for 5 minutes the smps fan started to speed like a jet.

I got afraid of it catching fire , so I turned of the pc by long pressing pc switch.

I turning off , I removed all ram sticks and cleaned it and then again fixed it and after 2 minutes I tried again but the same happened , so now I called my father to my room the look at the problem , but this time as I was started the cpu ,it worked.

I also want to tell that after I started , I checked cpu temperature , hard drive health and ram but the are all fit and fine.

(temperature info)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +105.0°C)
temp2: +29.8°C (crit = +105.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +56.0°C (high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 0: +56.0°C (high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 1: +56.0°C (high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 2: +55.0°C (high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 3: +53.0°C (high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ethan045627 -- those temperatures are 3 degrees higher than boiling water!

You should be seeing motherboard temperatures around 30 degrees, and processor temperatures around 50 to 60 degrees.

I suspect that the fan on top of the CPU is not working, or it is not receiving any power.

Turn it off.

Disconnect the power-cord.

Hold-down the ON/OFF switch for 5 seconds, to "drain" any residual electtricity.

Remove the side-panel, to expose the fans (inside the back of the case, and on top of the CPU).

Take a pencil, and tap one of the blades of the CPU fan. If it does not spin freely, it has seized, and must be replaced.

Reconnect the power-cord.

Power-on the computer, and verify that the   fans are spinning, immediately.

If not, disconnect the power-cord, to shut it down, before it overheats and damages your motherboard, CPU, and disk-drive.

Then, take the computer to a technician for trouble-shooting.

HP Recommended

@Itsmyname

Thanks Sir fo replying.

Actually in 3rd try it worked , so I will try your method next time,

I wanted to ask can this (pic) might be the problemphoto_2021-09-21_10-51-05.jpg

HP Recommended

@Ethan045627 -- I don't understand what the image is trying to show, unless you are trying to show that each "hole" in the grid is stuffed-full with dust. If cool room-temperature air cannot be pulled into your computer, it will overheat.

Turn the computer off. Disconnect the power-cord. Carefully remove that front panel, and remove the dust.

Probably, the heatsink (between the CPU and the fan) also is completely clogged, causing the CPU to overheat.

Probably, the inside of the power-supply is also dust-clogged.

I will try your method next time,

No, No, No.

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL for the temperatures to be over 100 Celsius. 

I recommend that you turn IMMEDIATELY off the computer, and perform the steps that I recommended, -- both in my previous message and in this message -- before the excessive heat permanently damages your computer.

HP Recommended

@Itsmyname

Thanks for replying 

I got your point ,

just wanted to tell that the temperature data given above is :

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +27.8°C (curent temperature) --->just for info that 105 deg. C is critical(crit = +105.0°C)
temp2: +29.8°C (curent temperature) --->just for info that 105 deg. C is critical(crit = +105.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +41.0°C (high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 0: +40.0°C (curent temperature) --->just for info that 93 deg. C is high & 105 deg. C is critical(high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 1: +41.0°C (curent temperature) --->just for info that 93 deg. C is high & 105 deg. C is critical(high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 2: +41.0°C (curent temperature) --->just for info that 93 deg. C is high & 105 deg. C is critical(high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)
Core 3: +38.0°C (curent temperature) --->just for info that 93 deg. C is high & 105 deg. C is critical(high = +93.0°C, crit = +103.0°C)

and I cleaned the (pic) area and now it is fresh.

So what might be the problem if it is not due to fan not working or due to dirt in heat sink

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.