Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Without removing the GPU I'd like to determine the specific model number for the GPU in the 870-244. It's listed as an Nvidia GTX 1070. The PC though purchased recently, I believe is a 2017 model.

On the Nvidia site, it appears several companies make or use the GForce GTX 1070 or perhaps the GForce is specifically Nvidia. Anyway, the appearance of the GPU doesn't match what I see on the site or any images I can dig up. The spec for the PC just call it an Nvidia GForce GTX 1070.

I'd like to know what company makes it, EVGA, Gigabyte or whatever and the specific model number from the manufacturer. Does someone know or do I just need to remove the GPU. None of the diagnostic, benchmark or Windows software displays the actual model number.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

you need to understand that nvidia cards are 99% of the time all based of the reference nvidia board design with resellers just changing the cooling system, adding custom software (sometimes) and sometimes for the retail cards changing the default clock speed on the board

in other words, most boards are the exact same no matter who you bought from, appart from the cooling solution and bundled software/ clock rate used

HP like other tier One OEM's buys cards from various companys that are willing to make the nessary cooler changes  (if required), and simply labels that card with a HP part mumber, also all OEM cards will use the factory default clocks

so you question as to which HP oem partner made the boord is a moot point because it could be any of the video card makers that hp contracts with

there are a very , very few RETAIL nvidia cards that use a non OEM design IE- the card seller took the time to design a custom PCB/cooling solution thes cards are not common and are very high end nich products

the Asus Strix line of video cards being one such product

last the utility GPU-Z will display all information about a video card

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

you need to understand that nvidia cards are 99% of the time all based of the reference nvidia board design with resellers just changing the cooling system, adding custom software (sometimes) and sometimes for the retail cards changing the default clock speed on the board

in other words, most boards are the exact same no matter who you bought from, appart from the cooling solution and bundled software/ clock rate used

HP like other tier One OEM's buys cards from various companys that are willing to make the nessary cooler changes  (if required), and simply labels that card with a HP part mumber, also all OEM cards will use the factory default clocks

so you question as to which HP oem partner made the boord is a moot point because it could be any of the video card makers that hp contracts with

there are a very , very few RETAIL nvidia cards that use a non OEM design IE- the card seller took the time to design a custom PCB/cooling solution thes cards are not common and are very high end nich products

the Asus Strix line of video cards being one such product

last the utility GPU-Z will display all information about a video card

HP Recommended

So, there really is not particular reason to prefer one implementat of the GeForce GTX 1070 over another? From what you're describing it seems the only reason would be a perception of quality perhaps, the appearance and the type of cooling solution. 

Do difference manufacturers implement the standard more effectively than others?

HP Recommended

if you were buying a retail card then price, warranty terms, and bundled software are the main points, secondary points are factory overclock and cooling solution used, and if card has "lighting efects"

OEM cards, are another matter, warranty is through the system (the card has no seperate warranty) there is no price other than if the card was a "Option upgrade" and this price is almost allways lower than the sugested retail card price

HP Recommended

While I cannot say for certain, about the only way to tell for sure, it the card's manufacturer cannot be discerned from observation of the outside of the card, it to inspect the card for a manufacturer name on the circuit board.

HP and probably most OEM manufacturers use multiple brands of graphics cards that match the specs for the listing you see.  That way the specific brand of graphics card is not fixed unless it advertised to have a specific brand name for that model PC.

BTW: why do you need to know the manufacurer's name?  Is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 type not specific enough for some reason?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

This is a new computer I bought recently to replace my laptop though it is, I believe, a 2017 model. I've been in IT for 30 years, part of which was doing PC support and I've seen the insides of more PC cases than I can count. I'm not gaming, but it is supposed to be a gaming machine which has prompted me to explore. I ran 3DMark and UserBench just for fun. The latter allows you to save your configuration at which point it asked for the exact model of the card. Up to that point I thought Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 was all there was to know.

However, going on the Nvidia site I realised Nvidia was just the platform and that multiple vendors made cards ided the same way. I haven't really paid too much attention to video cards up to this point because I wasn't gaming and as long as the unit had a name brand card, ATI, Radeon, having distinct graphics memory, that was fine. Usually 1G to 4G was plenty. All of this prompted more curiousity to understand what components were in the model I purchased.

I bought primarily to replace my laptop. The goal was to find something local I could buy and take home as the need was pressing. I looked for manufacturers I trusted and then at how much I was willing to spend and bought a unit with the best specs I could find amont what was there. This one was on sale. I like HP, I liked the name, Omen, and like the specs. It is far more than what I need for what I do with it, but there's no harm in that; a little future proofing.

So, all that brings me back to understanding who made the GPU. I couldn't find a card that looked like the one in the machine and didn't think it would be necessary to take it out to know who made it, of it it really mattered since it didn't seem to clearly be a branded manufacturer.

HP Recommended

At  some point, when I have a need to open the case again, I'll pull it out and see what I can see.

HP Recommended

I see, so more a curiosity than a gripe.  We had a user complaining about the graphics card not looking as the picture he had seen, once.  Which showed a specific looking graphics card with "fancy" outside dressings that made it look nice for the picture.  HP and other OEM's ask for a specific graphics card spec from the different manufacturers that make the card they are specifying.    As long as the card meets the specs and fits the space, then all is good.  When it says NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 in the "Device Manager" and it runs as expected, that meets the design of the unit.  All of the graphics cards manufacturers making a card for that unit might put the same outsides on it so that it does not tell who made it just so they all look the same .  IDK that for sure but it would make sense.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Recently had a similar experience. The 11 or so character model number was printed in small text on a label on the box the card came in. Not much help for OEM cards I realize. The model number, among other things, identifies the amount and type of RAM on the card. This can vary between individual models of the "same" card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.