Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TP01-0019
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased the  TP01-0019 aka 6YR34AA and/or HP Pavilion Desktop PC - Silver (Intel Core i5-9400/1TB HDD/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Windows 10) - just wondering about the upgrade limitations? I currently have ASUS VivoPC/ M32CD Desktop PC (Intel Core i7-7700/1TB HDD 5400 RPM & 3TB HDD 7200 RPM/16GB DDR4/NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050-2GB/Windows 10) - just wondering about my limitations and what I can and can't recycle - like the graphics card for one and well, I will see which HDD hard drive has the higher RPM and put that into the new PC. My ASUS VivoPC with for a multi-task person and I do multi task - I will only have about 24GB of RAM in the new pc after I do the upgrade/downgrade. Just wondering about the limitations? Like would it be worth it for me to purchase a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7S2T0) as a internal SSD upgrade? I should be able to have a total of 4TB HDD 7200 RPM combined with two HDD hard drives - I plan to remove the DVD writable disk drive. I'm using this PC for vmware and creating virtual machines for school just wondering about the limitations of my hardware upgrades on this TP01-0019 aka 6YR34AA and/or HP Pavilion Desktop PC - Silver (Intel Core i5-9400/1TB HDD/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Windows 10 PC first before I order any upgrades at all. I mean I hope to have a total of 24GB of DDR4  2666 - the retailer says that this PC is RAM is expandable upto 32GB DDR4 2666 - I currently only have 24GB wondering if I should get a total of 64GB or 32GB max at 2666 MHz or not? wondering if I should purchase the 2TB internal SSD or not? I don't have an internal SSD right now but I'm downgrading or upgrading from an i7-7700 to a i5-9400 processor not sure if there will be much different between them or not? 

So, I discussed my reason for upgrading because of the available RAM aka to 32GB max or to 64GB max or not?

As well as increase my internal SDD from 256GB to 2TB - the  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7S2T0) one.  Just wondering if the motherboard would take my graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050-2GB and the power supply that comes with the HP PC won't have any issues with supporting the graphics card as well as the 2TB Samsung SSD. 

What other upgrades can I do for this HP PC as well? What are my limitations about this HP PC? Please advise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jaystewie101,

You must purchase RAM in matching pairs, and it must be specific to your new computer. Attempting to add RAM from another computer, and mismatching speed is fraught with disaster.   If you can match the existing 8GB, then find 3 more. Otherwise it's off to a certified match-up.  Only get 2666, no faster. Do not exceed 32GB total.   2 sets of this kit totals 32GB.

I did not say the GPU card will not fit. I asked if it required a PCIe 6 pin power plug.  It is a 2x3 socket on the card. Your computer has a 310W PSU, and some versions do not have a PCIe 6 pin cable dangling from the PSU.

Cloning the M.2 is straight forward. But you need the adapter I mentioned to make it easy.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@jaystewie101,

WOW 😁 🤔

First of all, although I do not work for HP, let me thank you for coming into the HP world.

1) I am linking my spreadsheet on various units. Your TP01 is a series, and the 0019 is the model.   The 1TB will be very lonely unless you assign folders to it.  This is an issue for only novice users with WIN 10.

2)  There are only 2 HD mounting bays.  See this video.  This shows the 2 mounting positions.

3) There are 2 versions of any GTX 1050 in regards to power. Version 1 does not have PCIe 6 pin power receptacle.  Version 2 has the need for a PCIe 6 pin power cable. (Remember the PSU is HP proprietary) . Only specific PSU models have the 6 or 6+2 PCIe power plug. That research was accomplished by me and other postings from fellow HPer's.  Your now an HPer's. (my slang).

3) RAM is not swap item.  The motherboard is specific to its RAM.  It is fine tuned to the motherboard.

4) The choice of the NMVe swap out via cloning is an excellent choice.  But you will need an NVMe Key M adapter to USB 3.1 C for ultra-fast cloning.

I will await your reply to further this discussion. Enjoy.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

According to the specs it says the the RAM is expandable upto 32GB? aka 4 slots of RAM and the HP  Desktop PC I purchased only as 1 slot with 8GB? I'm trying to understand what the issue is here with the RAM? If I can take it out and the HP Desktop PC has 4 slots aka 3 available I show me able to fill them right aka being swapable? I just need to shutdown all my Desktop PC's first. The sticks of RAM I have is meant for a 2666 Mhz and my ASUS Desktop takes 2400 Mhz - there might be one stick I might not be able to use I have to look into that but I still should get two 8GB of DDR4 2666 Mhz - all my RAM is DDR4 I have no DDR3 at all! 

Okay you're saying my nvidia graphics card might not fit. I have to live with that. What about the upgrading from a 256 GB internal SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V7S2T0B/AM? - the 256 GB has the  PCIe NVMe M.2 internal SSD specs other than that I don't know the brand name of the 256 GB internal SSD or whatever else at all. 

HP Recommended

@jaystewie101,

You must purchase RAM in matching pairs, and it must be specific to your new computer. Attempting to add RAM from another computer, and mismatching speed is fraught with disaster.   If you can match the existing 8GB, then find 3 more. Otherwise it's off to a certified match-up.  Only get 2666, no faster. Do not exceed 32GB total.   2 sets of this kit totals 32GB.

I did not say the GPU card will not fit. I asked if it required a PCIe 6 pin power plug.  It is a 2x3 socket on the card. Your computer has a 310W PSU, and some versions do not have a PCIe 6 pin cable dangling from the PSU.

Cloning the M.2 is straight forward. But you need the adapter I mentioned to make it easy.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

NVMe Key M adapter? That makes the 256GB internal SSD hard drive basically external? My plan is to upgrade from the 256GB to a 2TB internal SSD - I basically plan to keep the 256GB in storage for when I might need more hard drive space? Buying the  NVMe Key M adapter works I just have to watch for it go on sale that's all. I'm going to use one of the HDD hard drives at my main OS. I just have to configure that within the bios right? That shouldn't be too difficult right? I just hope my graphics card fits. I'll learn the specs on what's motherboard I'm looking for when I purchase another PC. Hopefully, after COVID-19, is over. Hopefully I will still find a motherboard that takes my graphics card. It's just a pain that I purchased the ASUS Desktop in 2017 and it's not 2021 yet and I had to purchase a new system - new system to me whatever you want to call it. I'm still jumping from an i7-7700 processor to an i5-9400 processor. I'm a multi task user - I know I'm basically trying to fit all the current hardware that I currently have all into one Desktop. All for the RAM, I have been advised that it might not work but just for fun see if it does it's not like I can destroy anything else in the process right? I mean the addition to the new RAM memory is the first step for me - hopefully I can get the Desktop to see all 28GB of DDR4 2400 MHZ. If not then I'll have a total of 16GB of DDR4 2666 MHZ and I'll look for some more RAM locally it's like $75 plus taxes per 8GB of DDR4 2666 MHZ. And I'll see which HDD hard drive is greater - I'm only putting in 7200 RPM in this Desktop HP no matter what as well as 2TB internal SSD within time. Add 2 HDD hard drives and if no issues add or keep a third by removing the DVD player. I need Hard Drive space and RAM. I'm stuck with Windows 10 Home. I'm not going to play around with the ISO to get Windows 10 Professional and have it not be activated for some reason because of licencing issues. If all 28GB works everything is golden if not then 12 GB goes back into my ASUS Desktop and the slowest Hard Drive I have goes in there as well and I hope I can use the graphics card if not then I'll just put it back into the ASUS Desktop and mount it once I get all the hardware into my new Desktop HP PC. That is if all the good hardware fits or not? I need to use all the SSD hard drive connected to the HP Desktop so, that's the NVMe Key M adapter in the end. I'll be filling up the 2TB internal SSD by Christmas my luck. I have a bunch of HDD hard drives, external - both desktop expansion slow ones and portable ones already filled. The SSD hard drives are for all the newer stuff for this year wish me luck. Vmware work is going to kill me soon enough!

HP Recommended

@jaystewie101,

There is only "1" M.2 Key M SSD socket.  After the clone process,  you have the 256GB laying on the table.  If you put in into the adapter, at least you will have a portable storage device. You need to correct your definition.  You said your plan was to replace the 256GB NMVe with the 2TB NVMe.  Please keep the tech terms correct.  That is why I said there is only 1 socket for NMVe.Why the " I'm going to use one of the HDD hard drives at my main OS". That is confusing.  Very confusing ! An internal HD is a SATA 600 device, and is 5-6 times slower than the Samsung EVO 970.

The an i7-7700 to a i5-9400 is 8% faster.

If the RAM were to function, the slowest RAM speed would determine the entire system.  And, if you do not use proper procedures, like unplugging the power cord, as the PSU still has stand-by power applied, you will BLOW the socket.

If you purchase RAM locally, and it is not specified to your computer, It might not work. RAM is very tempermental.

Using an illegal WIN 10...... you can get it legally here for only $50.

GTX 1050 will not on 180W PSU.  Proprietary designed 310W  L64964-800  is correct.  It has the PCIe 6+2 power plug.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Buying RAM for my current Desktop and buying the correct RAM for the HP Desktop and I'm not going to miss with the motherboards at all just the adding the RAM - RAM upgrade and purchasing some 2.5 inch SATA internal SSD and I purchase an adapter for the 256GB at a later date. I have like 6 different legal copies of Windows 10 Home already and currently only one is in use on my current hard drive. Everything is on a HHD hard drive. I might have something with a legal copy of Windows 7 too I really don't know right now. Everything is in storage. - That's why I said I planned to use on of the HDD hard dives as my main OS because I already have them. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.