Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion TP01-0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Any attempt to use the second DIMM slot only results in the PC beeping.  It will not even load the bios.

Slot has been cleaned (air dusted).  Photographed to look for problems (none seen). 

Have tried two 32GB sets (2x16GB) from Crucial, one 2400 (Ballistix) and the other from their recommended memory kit for this PC, @3200.  I have also tried earlier DDR3 DIMM (8 MB) taken from an older system.  Each type works in the first slot, any DIMM in the second slot just leads to the PC beeping.

Has anyone been able to do a memory upgrade on their TP01-0066 (Ryzen 7 chip, 3rd gen, w/ graphics card)?

I've tried HP Chat for hardware issues, and the only response I got was to talk to sales.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My pleasure Golack2

Maybe you can take some pictures of you motherboard: one global and one close to the DIMM slots... But I begin to think the slot is faulty 😞

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi Golack2

In order to troubleshot, does the computer boot with the original DIMM on the second slot (leave the first slot empty)?

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello
just like @Antoine_F  i think this will confirm if there is a problem with the slot or motherboard
to answer the question, it has already been done, a frequency problem here, but it seems okay!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Ram-Speed-on-Erica-Motherboard/...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Antoine--

Thanks for the suggestion.  Alas, no joy.

Putting the memory that came with the system into the 2nd DIMM, leaving first one open, just gives beeping.

HP Recommended

Thank you Golack2. Can you identify a pattern on this nice beeping melody (such as two long one short then pause)?

HP Recommended

HI 

When I just use the first slot, the BIOS sees the second slot (empty).  If any DIMM is in the second slot, it will not boot, it will not get to the bios, it only beeps.

The first slot is fine with DDR3 or DDR4 memory, 2400 or 3200 Hz.  The bios recognizes the manufacturer of the chip supplied with the system, Samsung, but does not recognize "Crucial" as a manufacturer.  See the link provided by 

HP Recommended

HI Antoine--

The beep code is 3-3, same as if there was no memory installed.

I've reseated all the connections to the motherboard--pulled it earlier to see if there were any obvious problems with the DIMM slots..

Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

My pleasure Golack2

Maybe you can take some pictures of you motherboard: one global and one close to the DIMM slots... But I begin to think the slot is faulty 😞

HP Recommended
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I was surprised it didn't have problem (in the first slot) with DDR3 too.

Thanks for looking into this.

Note, the spec is DDR4, 3200 Hz, but it does not ship with that.  It ships with DDR4 2400 Hz memory..  HP needs to ship with memory that meets its specs or update the spec sheet.  That has caused quit a bit of confusion.

Finding 3200 Hz memory in stock is a bit of a challenge, especially for matched sets.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.