Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've come a cross some few things still missing at lest in my laptop.

*USB drivers (USB -c driver)

*Fan control software. (I noticed mine had one before I swapped SSD can't find it anywhere.

*And again the lack of BIOS update only got one from one year Old firmware.

In bios missing

*advanced options for the CPU sutch disable hyperthreading (reason battery power saving)

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

If you download, install, and run the HP Support Assistant, it should find the "missing" device-drivers, and, maybe an updated BIOS.

Note that disabling hyperthreading cuts the maximum speed of your computer by 50% -- is that OK with you?

HP Recommended

That's not how hyperthreading works.

as long there's the 8 core active and hyperthreading is not really necessary.

you won't lose performance by disable hyperthreading only what type of programs that use it.

example Video editing tools.

or 3D rendering program.

HP Recommended

>  That's not how hyperthreading works.

I disagree. 

Either purchase a processor with 16 cores, with no capability for hyperthreading,

or purchase a processor with 8 cores, with 2 threads per core.

Each of these systems can simultaneously run 16 processes.

> as long there's the 8 core active and hyperthreading is not really necessary.

I disagree.

If you have a need for "intensive" processing, such as "mining for Bitcoin", having 16 processors is better than having 8 processors. If your computer is running a web-server, having 8 hyperthreaded processors can simultaneously process 16 requests.

> you won't lose performance by disable hyperthreading only what type of programs that use it.

I disagree. 

Windows will use all the processors that are available, even when a single application only uses one core.

>  example Video editing tools. or 3D rendering program.

Did  the programmer of those applications write the program to exploit a multi-core processor? A good programmer writes good code. A bad programmer would write "single-threaded" code. 

P.S.  Most laptop computers dynamically reduce the bus-speed when the processor is not "busy", for automatic power-saving. So, there is no need for you to "manually" try to do what the motherboard and the processor will AUTOMATICALLY do, and will do it much more EFFICIENTLY than if you try to do it.

HP Recommended

Hyper threading doesn't make an extra core available if the cpu core is already at max. It only makes threadload  available if the cpu has spare capacity. So in instances as coin mining or video editing Hyperthreading is useless.

Yes for loads that are variable such as server requests it can be useful,

HP Recommended

> Either purchase a processor with 16 cores, with no capability for hyperthreding,

or purchase a processor with 8 cores, with 2 threads per core.

Each of these systems can simultaneously run 16 processes.

Dose not matter if you got threading to make to work flew easier you only need cores to do the majority of the work.

Threads are only there to feed the core simultaneously but the as long you got those number of amount of cores you don't really need threading only in heavy task. 

If you have a need for "intensive" processing, such as "mining for Bitcoin", having 16 processors is better than having 8 processors. If your computer is running a web-server, having 8 hyperthreding processors can simultaneously process 16 requests.

Dude just enable hyperthreding in bios if you need it or not.

Easy.

Windows will use all the processors that are available, even when a single application only uses one core.

cores not hyperthreding if windows use it? Yes, dose it need it? No really necessary. 

>Did  the programmer of those applications write the program to exploit a multi-core processor? A good programmer writes good code. A bad programmer would write "single-threaded" code.

I don't know what to say here who ever did the application they make sure what and how it will use the cores and hyperthreding if necessary or when it's needed. Normally hyperthreding is needed for 3D and video tools programs and so on. 

I've disabled hyperthreding all together and it works just fine Windows, programs, gaming and webb.

HP Recommended

I don't really know bitcoin uses even how much it use threading but cores at lest. 

GPU is the main majority in use for it.

HP Recommended

Hyper threading doesn't make an extra core available if the cpu core is already at max. 

The CPU is at "max" only when BOTH threads in EVERY core  are 100% busy.

If a computer program can run 16 tasks simultaneously, then you need an 8-core CPU with 2 threads per core to match the performance of a 16-core CPU that does not support hyperthreading.

The "dispatcher" code in the "heart" of Windows will always use every available thread, whether each core only has 1 thread, or whether each core has 2 threads.

HP Recommended

>  I've disabled hyperthreading ... and it works just fine Windows, programs, gaming and webb.

Measure the difference between using threading in each core, versus not using threading in each core, when running a workload that requires multiple simultaneous processing.

By disabling hyperthreading, you are using only 50% of the capability of the CPU.  Fortunately for you, the apps that you run never require 100% of every core.  So, you don't notice that it's running at 50% of its "top speed".

Benchmark: run Windows Update and a video-compression program  (4K BluRay video converting to MP4 for downloading to your iPad) and a "full" anti-virus scan, while watching the Windnows Task Manager, to see how "busy" the CPU gets.

HP Recommended

Hyper-threading works by creating a *virualized* core to make use of *unused* capacity in the core. There is only one core( eg single core cpu) which is at full utilization. hyperthreading has no effect. In fact it may be detrimental  on these types of loads.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.