Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ3320L
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

This afternoon, I tried to reseat my CPU so I have to remove the fan first then remove the CPU itself.

I accidentally rubbed the thermal paste of the RAM and I procced to install the RAM and the fan back to its place.

But then the fan spins very fast, there is no display or any signal in monitor even though I have tried changing the monitor and the cable.

I also have bought a RAM and check if it will solve the problem but it does not.

What should I do regarding this problem?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If the CPU fan and heat sink was removed, then the thermal paste needs to be replaced between the heat sink and CPU and then new applied, after cleaning those two surfaces.  That is why the fan is running fast as the CPU is heating up.  Hope it is not toooo late, as that can damage the CPU.  From the symptoms, it does not sound promising.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.